PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer problem

Troy F
09-15-2003, 05:51 AM
I have a PM Bullet 3 skimmer with the original beckett injector. Yesterday it decided to stop producing foam, I soaked it in vinegar all night last night and it had just been cleaned on Thursday and I took it apart and cleaned it again this afternoon. Nothing, I can't find anything. I've thought of the water chemistry being off, too much oil or something but can't think of how or why that could happen. Have any of you had problems with a beckett cracking or breaking? I did bang it against the sink during the cleaning on Thursday. Now keep in mind that this is the sealed housing that came out on the first models so cleaning it can be a pain but it's always done and I've never had a problem. Anyone have an idea.

EmilyB
09-15-2003, 05:56 AM
yeah, buy a euroreef... :razz: :mrgreen:

Aquattro
09-15-2003, 06:26 AM
Troy, can you force water thru it in reverse? Snails can sometimes get lodged in there, and if you can't take it apart, it gets tough to clean.

Troy F
09-15-2003, 06:49 AM
I'm ninety-nine percent positive nothing is in there. You can shine a light through it and "see". I also used a piece of wire to check more carefully. I just finished taking it apart again. Made no difference. Maybe I'll try the neighbour's pressure washer tomorrow but I honestly don't hold much hope in it.

Thanks Deb, very helpfull. I'd rather just buy a sledge hammer.

Aquattro
09-15-2003, 06:53 AM
Troy, can you open the beckett holder? I know you're not supposed to, but can you open somehow and reseal it after cleaning the beckett?
Oh, and a sledge hammer won't skim nearly as well as a Bullet 3 (and they rust)

Troy F
09-15-2003, 02:31 PM
Brad, I don't think it would re-seal very well. I may have to buy the new beckett from PM. They don't make the old one anymore.

Acro
09-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Hey Troy, If you use a garden hose on the removed becket does it seem to airate the water going through? Also does it seem to be pulling air in? Could the air intake be clogged? Does it work with the lid off the skimmer? Or could something have spawned in your tank?

Troy F
09-15-2003, 03:09 PM
Jamie, I didn't try it with a garden hose but with the sink. Water just kind of comes out of it but that's always been the case. As for something spawning, I can't say positively but it's very unlikely. The only biological activity I can think that might adjust the chemistry is the shrimp I have that is continually building caves for the goby. After I get home from work I'll try a few more things.

So you guys don't think there's anything in the beckett construction that could break?

Troy F
09-16-2003, 12:20 AM
Okay, I took it apart again thisafternoon. It's the cleanest beckett in the entire world as of...well an hour ago. I hooked her back up and presto! she was skimming away. I went outside and came back in and no more foam. The water's still all bubbly but no foam being produced. I have a suspician that there is water getting in the way of where the water and air meet. Does any of this make sense? I'm not having a very good day.

Aquattro
09-16-2003, 12:33 AM
no, it doesn't make sense! Is there something blocking the air valve? Can you hear it sucking air? Does opening and closing the valve make a difference?

Troy F
09-16-2003, 12:57 AM
No nothing blocking the air valve. I wonder if it's the pump. Running well for a bit and then ramping down for some reason? I may switch pumps for the heck of it and see if it makes a difference.

That sealed beckett on the old Bullet's is such a piece of crap. Titus' idea to get rid of it was a sound one. I'm thinking that where the air valve screws into the housing is where the water is leaking in. I know it's sputtered water before. I'm at a loss.