PDA

View Full Version : Avatar

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Anybody seen it yet?

Irene & I just came back from watching Avatar 3D & it is awesome. Good story (if a little simple), but the special effects & action are mind blowing. Well worth seeing in the theatre. I have a 46" 1080P Sony, but it just wouldn't be the same watching this movie at home. They charged $3 extra for the 3D but worth it. Irene calls it her favourite movie in a long time.

Anthony

Funky_Fish14
12-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the note! I was thinking about checking it out. Will definitely have to check it out in 3D.

Cheers,

Chris

banditpowdercoat
12-19-2009, 02:04 PM
I ususally don't like going to the theatre. I have 7.1 surround, 52" screen, and a PAUSE button LOL. But that said, I think I just may go see this one. Not sure if it's gona be 3d in my theatre tho :(

elitesurfer
12-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Going to see this on Imax 3d today :)

gobytron
12-19-2009, 05:16 PM
An awesome movie.
James Cameron flick through and through.
The story may be simple, but it is a story based on true events, ones seen in recent canadian history.

Please keep in mind while watching that what you see being done to the people of the planet the colonists are trying to take over is exactly the same thing that the CANADIAN GOVERNMENT did AND IS DOING to canada's indigenous people (native americans)....

Only worse and with less mercy than the movie portrayed it.

When the Canadian government was turned away by the might of the people and their power in their land, our government just decided it would be easier to befriend the people, and send them blankets (a blanket is not just to keep you warm in most native cultures, it is also a right of passage and a ceremonial thing) laced with small pox. A disease to which the people had no immunity and hence wiped out nearly 90% of them in British Columbia.

This also wasn't that long ago, there are still people alive today who remember from being there.

I'm sure you can imagine how much easier it was to round up all their children and force them into residential schools....which I hope everyone knows what torturous and rape infested places they were...Thank you jesus.

the reservation system is much like we took tiny parts of their planet in the movie and let them govern themselves(under our rules of course, foreign as they may be to a people of the land)there.

It really was a great movie, I just want everyone to understand how close we actually are to being those company colonists with $$ in our eyes.

If you guys want to see a great movie without the Avatar budget or James cameron fantasy action watch Muffins for Granny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ziYYLL4Dw)

It will make you feel ashamed.

manaf
12-19-2009, 08:22 PM
An awesome movie.
The story may be simple, but it is a story based on true events, ones seen in recent canadian history.

Please keep in mind while watching that what you see being done to the people of the planet the colonists are trying to take over is exactly the same thing that the CANADIAN GOVERNMENT did AND IS DOING to canada's indigenous people (native americans)....

When the Canadian government was turned away by the might of the people and their power in their land, our government just decided it would be easier to befriend the people, and send them blankets (a blanket is not just to keep you warm in most native cultures, it is also a right of passage and a ceremonial thing) laced with small pox. A disease to which the people had no immunity and hence wiped out nearly 90% of them in British Columbia.

This also wasn't that long ago, there are still people alive today who remember from being there.

I'm sure you can imagine how much easier it was to round up all their children and force them into residential schools....which I hope everyone knows what torturous and rape infested places they were...Thank you jesus.

the reservation system is much like we took tiny parts of their planet in the movie and let them govern themselves(under our rules of course, foreign as they may be to a people of the land)there.

It really was a great movie, I just want everyone to understand how close we actually are to being those company colonists with $$ in our eyes.

If you guys want to see a great movie without the Avatar budget or James cameron fantasy action watch Muffins for Granny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ziYYLL4Dw)

yea canada has blood all over its hands and residental schools is soo recent too last one closed 1996 which is horrible

gobytron
12-19-2009, 09:17 PM
ha...
Saskatchewan was a little behind the times there....

Psyire
12-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Avatar is incredible. Quite possibly the best movie ever. I highly recommend people take this in at the theatre in 3D, it is astounding.

Chin_Lee
12-21-2009, 08:30 AM
WOW. Great movie....... gonna go see it in IMAX next

Funky_Fish14
12-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Tried to see it tonight... got there 35 mins before (sunday night should be slow right?), well, a 10:30 movie was sold out in imax, and even the normal non Imax/3D was sold out.

RuGlu6
12-21-2009, 03:47 PM
An awesome movie.

Sadly it is the truth,
what are the chance that the same is being done today to everyone else with swine flu? is this so hard to believe?

gobytron
12-21-2009, 05:12 PM
except the swine flu doesn't seem to be racially segregated and the people it seems to be killing are a young, heathy demographic that killing off might hurt the economy.

Small pox literally wiped out 90% of Indigenous people in B.C.

I spent some of my summer in Bella Coola where there used to be over 35000 Nuxalk (newhawk) but after the bay on contract from the canadian government introduced those blankets there was less than 300 left to defend their land, heritage and children.

If you go to the smithsonian museum in the states, they actually have a better idea of who the nuxalk people were because they came in (through philanthropists and art collectors) and took everything they could find. Leaving only scraps and a very few elders who were outlawed on penalty of jail (which for the average native was a death sentence) to talk about their history.
It would eb a lot harder for the residential schools to teach the indian out of the indians if the elders and artifacts kept reminding the children of who they really were and where they came from.

I saw a famous picture in Bella Coola of a government indian agent digging up a child's grave marker, you can see that marker in the smithsonian archives.

If this swine flu is anything like what canada did wth small pox, tey are getting more merciful.

dsaundry
12-22-2009, 04:32 AM
Story was simple, Special effects excellent, definate underlying message and reference to history. Wife loved it. 2 sequels in the plans.

cprowler
12-24-2009, 06:16 AM
Just got back from seeing it. All I can say is, "WOW"!

At the end of it everyone applauded, I can't remember the last time that happened. On the way out a little girl around 13 or so said to her mom,"it changed my life".

I don't think it was the best movie ever but it is a must see. I saw it in 3D and I hope to see it in IMAX. I recommend you see it IN THE THEATER and in 3D. I have a big plasma TV and home theater but this is a different world.

I was skeptical to say the least when I first saw the trailer, I thought that it might be a flop. But after seeing the great reviews I figured it was worth checking out, and it is.

burgerchow
12-24-2009, 07:25 AM
I saw it last Saturday, and even in the old Dolphin theater on Hastings, it was incredible. I think it's the best movie I've ever seen. ( I'm easily amused, short attention span . lol) I recommended it to everybody I know.
You should see it...

Norstar
12-24-2009, 05:05 PM
WOW!!!! See it in 3D!!!

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Thought it was ok but nothing great. Effects were amazing but I really didn't like the look so....

Not my kind of film, I guess Im really not a good critic for this one.

pterfloth
12-24-2009, 10:46 PM
I saw it in IMAX 3D. I really liked it and plan to see it again. As far as I am concerned, it is a game-changer. I am an incorrigible divx downloader, but this kind of film will bring me back into the cinema.

Though the plot was simple and predictable, I found the virtual world very creative and highly entertaining. Definitely a must-see for anyone who likes Sci-Fi.

Ian
12-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Loved this show. visually amazing yes the plot is one that has been done repeatedly but well worth the money to see it in 3d.
hate that everyone has to over analyze and put societal context into it. I know it begs this but the concept of suspension of disbelief is one that I wish more would take part in. Honestly you can twist nearly any plot to sppeak to whatever cause you wish, this one is just easier than most.

dsaundry
12-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Loved this show. visually amazing yes the plot is one that has been done repeatedly but well worth the money to see it in 3d.
hate that everyone has to over analyze and put societal context into it. I know it begs this but the concept of suspension of disbelief is one that I wish more would take part in. Honestly you can twist nearly any plot to sppeak to whatever cause you wish, this one is just easier than most.

x2:biggrin:

workn2hard2day
01-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Great Movie. Did anyone else notice the fan worms and jelly fish things? Kinda made me wonder if he is a diver?

banditpowdercoat
01-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Great Movie. Did anyone else notice the fan worms and jelly fish things? Kinda made me wonder if he is a diver?

My 5 year old commented on that too. :D

whatcaneyedo
01-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Some of the other 'plants' really looked like palythora to me too.

Parker
01-11-2010, 07:50 PM
I won't be able to see it until it comes out on DVD. My wife is not a Scifi fan AT ALL. Last Scifi movie I took her too was Lord Of The Rings, I damn near strangled her! :redface:

workn2hard2day
01-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Tell her it is a movie about the environment :lol: & a love story. That might help. & I think I saw ome "zoos" in it too.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Go without her:wink: Just don't tell her I told you to do this.:razz:

My parents just went & they also raved about how visually stunning it was. They saw it at the IMAX though. We saw it in 3D at a regular theatre.

Anthony

mark
01-11-2010, 09:52 PM
I won't be able to see it until it comes out on DVD. My wife is not a Scifi fan AT ALL. Last Scifi movie I took her too was Lord Of The Rings, I damn near strangled her! :redface:

You really need to go to a theater for this one.

kien
01-11-2010, 10:24 PM

I think a lot of his inspiration came from the depths :-) Before, during and after the Titanic move he spent a lot of time "researching" the Titanic which took him diving with lots of gadgets. In fact, I think he even made a few oceanic documentaries (not including his titanic documentary). Don't forget also that he wrote and directed the Abyss which also required lots of underwater "research". All in all, I'm sure it was no accident that Pandora looked the way it did :-) Way cool and I too loved the movie. Felt like I was on an acid trip while taking a stroll through a reef. :lol:

Ian
01-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Go to it, this is must see on big screen and in 3d....

Diana
01-13-2010, 02:24 AM
Saw it in 3D, loved it. The story is right up my alley, its something I've always believed in and felt that everything on this planet is connected (reefs prove it). I feel it whenever I go into the forest... there is energy there.

The story was extremely similar to the cartoon movie Fern Gully (if anyone remembers that one as a child!?). A guy employed as a logger finds himself shrunk into a fairy, and falls in love with a fairy girl trying to save her forest from the loggers. The forest is magical and everything is connected, with a guardian spirit watching over everything. Love that movie, too. :)

Oh and Princess Mononoke is another one that people should watch if they liked the story in Avatar. Its anime, and I'm not a huge fan, but its beautifully done.

All in all I might just go see it again in the theater (this is one that I wont bother downloading).

-Diana

StirCrazy
01-13-2010, 03:07 AM

X3

besides I didn't see them giving out blankets at all :wink: come on its a movie not a documentry, and it was writen 15 years ago and had to wait 10 years till there was the means to make it.

Steve

Murminator
01-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Went to see in 3D last night the effects were amazing the story was ummm...... well wasn't it pretty much Dances with Wolves plot except in the future

I assumed everyone noticed the cocco worms and zoas

Lydia
01-31-2010, 03:10 AM
My son says it's spoofed as "Dances with Smurfs" ;)

Excellent flick, definitely one to see on the big screen. Saw it with my hubby and son in non-3D after I heard a friend got a migraine from the 3D (so I didn't want to risk it). Hubby and son then saw it a second time, this time in 3D, and they loved it just as much.

We will buy the DVD when it comes out, but we're glad we saw it on the big screen first.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-31-2010, 06:08 AM
Yes, I think that this is one movie that everyone who wants to see it properly should see it on the big screen.

banditpowdercoat
01-31-2010, 06:18 AM
So someone "says" they got a migraine so you won't see it in 3d? You are totally denying yourself a GREAT visual experience!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-31-2010, 08:11 AM
Yes, because I have monocular vision (focus through one eye at a time) and this 3D was so good that I could actually view the movie in 3D. A first for me.

Anthony

Lydia
01-31-2010, 03:38 PM
So someone "says" they got a migraine so you won't see it in 3d? You are totally denying yourself a GREAT visual experience!

Alas, I am very prone to migraine, especially from visuals. I walked out of District 9 20 minutes after it started with a splitting headache, seeing spots, and feeling like I was going to throw up. It's something to do with the big screen, and how it fills my vision - any sort of visual effect like that will trigger a migraine in me. Avatar sounded like too good of a movie to risk having to walk out on ;)