PDA

View Full Version : Idea's for ATO and SW change containers.

banditpowdercoat
12-18-2009, 09:17 PM
I have 2 runnbermaid garbage cans in ,my dining room at present. 1 for ATO, the other for SW. I would like to, and almost have all the equip, for a automated 1g/d water change system. BUT I HATE the garbage pails in the dining room. Space is of the essence in my house. I would like preferably 20g for the salt. Right now I make up 15g in the container, but I can get 20 in there I think. I go away to work for 14-15 days at a time. Need to have enough SW made up at one time.

The other idea I have is just a 1 button 5g change. Which I might do first. I have the 2 tanks, and right now, I take the old SW from the 150g, and put into the 45g, then dump the old 45g water. The 45g is just some rock and softies. trying to sell it...
But really, it all hinges on finding some nice containers that one wouldnt mind having in the living quarters. Or some ideas for hiding them?

Help me reclaim my dining room hahaha

kien
12-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Why don't you build something out of glass or acrylic? You could build either a tall container or a long container and then light it with funky neon lights and turn it into a laval lamp or something.

mark
12-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Go to a plastic tank supplier (eg here (http://www.innovativeplastics.net/)) and you can get a tank of any shape and size then build around it. Tank can be sealed or externally vented to control humidity. ATO through your PLC and floats, level sensors or might be able to find the type of probes used in travel trailers for the black and grey water holding tanks.

An idea, I had a bunch of the plastic storage totes (about the 20g size) I wanted to get out of sight so I built a bench over them. Have about 10 of them along one wall.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/PC180005.jpg

ScubaSteve
12-19-2009, 12:14 AM
I use two rectangular 10 gallon Nalgene vessels that I ordered from Fisher Scientific and they fit perfectly under my stand. The have them in sizes all the way up to like 50 gallons I think. You can find square vessels in almost any dimension you are looking for... so in a cabinet of some sort?

Nalgene is expensive but it won't leach. Otherwise get a good polyethylene vessel. Be careful of some of the cheaper vessels as they leach phosphates and other nasty stuff (had a problem withthis recently in my lab... who new they did this?). The leaching problem isn't important for drinking water vessels but it makes an impact here.