PDA

View Full Version : LF light set up

StirCrazy
12-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Ok, so I was going to buy some lights when I was in Victoria last week, but I am not sure what happened as they guy who had them never got back to me to tell me if he sold them or was holding them for me..

so now I am looking for lights again. since I am building an odd ball tank 30" long I am preferably looking for a 36" light set up but a 48 might work.. just more cutting down to do. I am looking for one of thes all in one type systems that I can hang above the tank that has two 150 or 250 DE MH and two (vho/PC/T5) on the sides. so something along the giseman, current usa, aqualite pro style.

the final catch.. it has to be cheap.. I am going to be cutting it apart to creat my own custom lighting so if you have one that the bulbs are dead, the suplemental lighting ballast is blowen, or the fixture is scratched and or rusted let me know.

Steve

ntotheblue
12-17-2009, 04:07 PM
I have a next to new pendant 250w double ended hqi its black in colour will include 2 slightly used bulbs 14,000k and 20,000k the bulbs itself cost me $90 each the bulbs are by geisemann and phoenix at most 2 months 3 hours per day of use!! the only thing you will need that this package doesnt include is a ballast. my asking price is $110 shipped that's a steal I can sell the bulbs for that price!!

Leah
12-17-2009, 04:26 PM
I don't know if this would work but I have a Aqualight Pro 250 watt.48 inch, ballasts work great. Needs a minor repair where the bulb goes in as my Dad tried to force the bulb in.
I am in Penticton

StirCrazy
12-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Ok, so a few people have sent me msg.. thanks for replying.

but I guess I need to clear this up a little more. what I am looking for is something that has Two MH in it and either PC/VHO/T5 that is the style of the giesman type fixture.

what I am intending to do is cut it down to the size I need, then replace the PC/VHO/T5 with aproperate sized T5's

the reason I don't want a new one is if I screw it up I am out a lot of money, so I am looking for something well used.. I can fix corosion, scratches, ect since I am ripping it apart and cutting it up anyways, but the MH ballasts need to work at least:mrgreen:

thanks again to thoes that did reply though.

Steve

StirCrazy
12-17-2009, 04:32 PM
I don't know if this would work but I have a Aqualight Pro 250 watt.48 inch, ballasts work great. Needs a minor repair where the bulb goes in as my Dad tried to force the bulb in.
I am in Penticton

Sent ya a PM

Steve

ntotheblue
12-17-2009, 04:46 PM
just a suggestion you dont think 2 250w halides plus t5's or any other addition on a 30'' tank is too much I had that much on a 90 gallon with a geisemann fixture for 4-5 hours per day. I think what youre looking for is a retro fit kit and addition of pendants and what ever else retro fitted lighting you like!!! just in curiosity how many gallons is your tank?!:question:

no_bs
12-17-2009, 04:55 PM
I think he knows what he's doing. I have also had that much lighting on a 3' tank. Just depends on what your keeping. IMO.

Leah
12-17-2009, 05:19 PM
replied!

StirCrazy
12-17-2009, 07:26 PM
just a suggestion you dont think 2 250w halides plus t5's or any other addition on a 30'' tank is too much I had that much on a 90 gallon with a geisemann fixture for 4-5 hours per day. I think what youre looking for is a retro fit kit and addition of pendants and what ever else retro fitted lighting you like!!! just in curiosity how many gallons is your tank?!:question:

nope not to much at all, the tank is a 27 gal, with a 27 gal sump. The tank its self is going to be predomantly SPS. my last tank was 3X2X2 and I had two SE bulbs run by true M80 ballasts and a awsome reflector system with two VHO actinics which were overdriven. the VHO ran 14 hours a day and the MH ran 10 hours a day. this new tank will be a shallow reef type enviorment consisting of very light demanding corals.

a retro fit could work but I was trying to not have a canopy on top this time, if I can't find what will work for me I may have to go with a canopy and retrofit.. I just wanted the clean lines that a geisemann type light gives.

Steve

StirCrazy
12-18-2009, 04:00 AM
Ok so I thought I had one but it is to wide for the tank so another requirment.. the fixture has to be under 10" wide.

Steve

muck
12-18-2009, 04:02 AM
shucks Steve... you aren't asking for much are you. :lol:

StirCrazy
12-18-2009, 04:11 AM
shucks Steve... you aren't asking for much are you. :lol:

well you know.. most of the setups are under 10" wide I have seen.. didn't thing there would be ones that are 14" wide LOL..

I will probably end up with a canopy but figured I would try find something cheep to break and see what I can do first :wink:

Besides you know me.. I love building my own stuff... and modifying things counts doesn't it?

Steve

muck
12-18-2009, 04:15 AM
Yep... thats half the fun.
Hope you find something cause I would love to see the frankenfixture you end up with.

Leah
12-18-2009, 10:40 AM
:sad: I could toss it in the dryer for a while.

StirCrazy
12-18-2009, 03:16 PM
:sad: I could toss it in the dryer for a while.

hmm you think it will work? :biggrin:

Steve

Leah
12-18-2009, 03:39 PM
You bet! if you knew how talented I was at doing laundry you'd believe it. :wink: