PDA

View Full Version : New Sump Question

Eb0la11
12-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Hey guys,

so Ive bit the bullet and ordered a new sump seeing as how the one I currently have cannot house the necessary in-sump skimmer that we have.

So Im wondering about my refugium. We have a deep sand bed of about 5" in there and its been established for about 1.5 months only. You can see some organisms already quite deep in the sand and there is a ton of pods, chaeto, stomatella, pineapple sponge, bristleworm and feather duster growth in there.

So what Im wondering, is how I should go about "transferring" this into the new refugium chamber in the new sump?

I know that DSBs can house a ton of toxicity and therefore my initial inclination was to completely seperate the sumps water-load from the system before I disturb the DSB whatsoever. Id likely then remove the live rock, and chaeto and then take the sand and basically rinse the crap out of it, essentially killing everything off until I have nothing left but pure sand again. Then I would restart my refugium.

What do you guys think?

My other thought was that I could maybe "skim" off the top 1/2" or so of the DSB as this is where a lot of feather dusters and other things have made home and preserve this to seed the new sand bed in the new fuge. Good or bad idea?

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Eb0la11
12-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Any advice? Should I just swap out the fuge into the new one and do nothing? Is 1.5 months not enough for pockets of toxicity to form?

sphelps
12-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Might as well just clean the sand or use new stuff just to be safe, it's hard to say if you'll have a problem or not if you do a direct transfer.