PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Coral Removal

Madreefer
12-14-2009, 04:18 PM
I've been trying weed some of my corals out a little and they keep coming back. I have tried coating them with a kalk paste. Looking for other ideas. Replacement of rocks unfortunately is not an option. The corals are a plating montipora, birds nest, pocillipora and some zoos.

Skimmerking
12-14-2009, 04:24 PM
IME with a soft coral its very hard to do since the roots go into the pours of the rock. Howver lots of times with hard corals you need to take it out and run hot water over it to kill it or dry it out. However if you have to do it with a live piece of rock the hot water thing is best to do.

BlueTang<3
12-14-2009, 05:38 PM
have you tried epoxy i use it for everything since i got my new light i can get like 3 inches a week of growth from xenia dam stuff lol i would not complain about the stuff your getting lol i just mix the epoxy and cut off the coral and epoxy over a large area around it so far have not had it come back yet

Myka
12-14-2009, 11:54 PM
If you can take the rock out and use a little butane torch on it that works well, or boiling water in a syringe (in the tank).

Madreefer
12-15-2009, 03:35 AM
Thanks all. I think I'll try the boiling water in the syringe. I can't really take my rocks out. Plus I can never get the aquascape back the same way.

Madreefer
01-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I ended up coating the unwanted with kalk paste. Worked great but had to look at bright white patches in the tank for a while. The problem I have now is those stupid little sea stars everywhere. I know they are good but they get on to my sensor for my auto top up and causes it to screw up. Every few days I have issues. Rather than putting them down the drain I'd rather feed them to something that is reef safe. Anything out there to control these starfishes?

Starry
01-09-2010, 04:02 PM
harliquin shrimp eat them, but when they are gone, shrimp starve.

Madreefer
01-09-2010, 04:25 PM
harliquin shrimp eat them, but when they are gone, shrimp starve.

So it would probably eat my sandsifter as well? But if I kept the harliquin in my sump everything should be ok. Thanks, I'll look for one.

Scythanith
01-10-2010, 02:43 AM
Move your sand sifter out of the main tank for the duration of the Harlequin's stay. Even if they have an abundant food source they'll hoard everything until it's consumed.