PDA

View Full Version : Too much flow??!!

dekay
09-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Is there such thing as too much flow in a reef tank? I just placed 20lb of live rock in my 46gallon bow yesterday. Looked at it during the night, and sure enough, I saw what looked like a very small baby shrimp or some sort of lifeform. Problem is, he gets easily carried off by the current, and I'm not sure if it's from his own free will or not.

The tank is 3 feet long and has 2 maxijet 1200s and a prism pro skimmer. Is that too much flow?

Jason McK
09-14-2003, 07:25 PM
Good Stuff David, Some of the Copods made it. I would say no that isn't too much flow, But unfortunately I have never had that problem I've always been under powered in the water movement area.
Copods don't seem to swim very well and usually stay on rocks. I wouldn't worry about it.

But I would wait until others post before you make any changes.

The sand settled quickly then?

dekay
09-14-2003, 07:36 PM
I put the rock in while it was a little dusty (about and hour after i placed the sand in). Wasn't sure if the life in the rocks would die cuz there's no air and all. But ya, it cleared up pretty quickly, took maybe 3-4 hrs. That was until I made another sand storm this morning trying to level the sand. But it's cleared up already.

Canadian Man
09-14-2003, 07:51 PM
I don't think you have too much flow.
my 230 has 6500gph and sand dosent even get blown around if I have it adjusted right.

230g tank
6500gph
28.6 times an hour.

Priceless :razz:

Quinn
09-14-2003, 08:32 PM
I have ~2500gph turnover (~17x), return via a Mag12, overflow through a 2" pipe. Where the water exits the overflow in the sump I have legions of amphipods (the shrimp-thing that you are seeing, best picture I could find below). I would have expected them to be blown around but they seem to have excellent grip. I even see them on the pump intake on occasion.

I do not get sand blowing around unless my goby really gets excited.

http://troyb.com/photo/images/photos/00005348.jpg

kris
09-14-2003, 08:56 PM
Nice Picture Quin

dekay
09-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Is it normal to have some of the copods or amphipods to die off when i transport the LR from one place to another? I don't have to acclimate LR right? Cuz I just looked into the tank, and a saw quite a few corpses.