PDA

View Full Version : Sun Corals

Toolman
12-13-2009, 07:01 PM
I got a couple of Sun Corals given to me, the colonies are nice and orange but the polyps haven't come out yet. I know I have to feed each head and have put mysis shrimp on it but nothing has happened. Do they take a while to get used to tank or if they were fed the day I got them (friday) would they wait til they are hungry ????

elitesurfer
12-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Are you trying to feed them at night?

Toolman
12-13-2009, 07:25 PM
yes, about 1 - 2 hours after lights out. I came down in middle of the night and it was still not extended

Mr.nintendo
12-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Try squirting a little bit of the mysis cube juice into the water in the morning before the lights come on. I just let the pumps cycle it around the tank and usually within a half hour they come out.

Mine come out all the time, usually stay extended during the day now and eat as much as I shove in their face. It did take a little bit to get them out initially, I found touching them in any way didn't help. This including trying to cover them with something to stop the food I was trying to feed it from being stolen.

Toolman
12-13-2009, 08:22 PM
he put them in the same bag with another coral, maybe that is why they are mad. It looks like maybe something stung one of them....

Toolman
12-13-2009, 09:18 PM
I would post some pictures if I could figure out how to resize them???

Toolman
12-15-2009, 03:40 AM
I put some brine shrimp on them tonight again and they came up to the end of the tubes but did not show any tentacles...... maybe some tomorrow ???

BlueWorldAquatic
12-15-2009, 03:47 AM
Because suncorals are nocturnal we retrain them for daytime.

When you make your food mix and feed your fish during the day, squirt a little of the food juice on the suncoral. (keeping in mind you have your water flow off or reduced)

If he is hungry, he will open up a little about 2 hours later, then you give him some food.

We found this works with our suncorals, and after a few days they open all the time at about the same time of day.

Ken - BWA

tgoeujon
12-15-2009, 03:47 AM
Try just squirting some of the juice into the tank and waiting for a bit, i usually give my fish some first and by the time the fish are finished the polyps are open. I cant say for sure but i dont think putting food on them before they are open will help.