PDA

View Full Version : Gone for 12 days and I'm back...

Dez
12-13-2009, 05:40 AM
Well, I left California today +18 degrees, and I'm back to -37 degrees here in Edmonton.

My tank went through a 5 hour power outage without anyone around and I came back to a living tank. The only loss was a milli frag which never was looking good from the day I got it, and a 1.5" maxima clam. Who knows why the clam passed on, but all 4 other clams still look good. I actually found a bunch of pyramid snails on one of my big clams the day before we left because the clam had pinched mantles for a few days. Now it looks great!

One of my pink pocci's fell into the hammer coral so there is about a dime sized dead portion on that coral.

Parameters are within line (7 dkh - Alk, 400ppm - calcium, Magnesium 1250). Not bad for 12 days gone.

Some corals have grown, some corals have changed colours - nice.

My closed loop pump was spitting tiny microbubbles due to a couple of small hermits in the intake, that was easily taken care of with a cleaning.

I'm quite pleased to come home to a living tank.

About 6 Christmas's ago we left for a week (had a well educated tank sitter/hobbyist take care of our tank) and came back to a completely rotten and crashed tank due to the tank sitter not checking sump level.

All in all, I'm quite pleased.

This time I had someone who knows NOTHING about fish/aquariums look after it. But it is someone I completely trust and he uses his head. He is also very mechanical.

I did a one hour education on my system and corals before I left. He even dosed all my zeo morning and evening. What a great friend. I had to teach him what polyp extension, let alone what a polyp was etc...

The power outage happened while my tanksitter was gone for a couple of days to Calgary and it was really cold! I heard there was a power outtage from my neighbour via facebook....but all was well!

Nice!

lastlight
12-13-2009, 05:50 AM
I love a happy ending man. Glad that tank is kicking butt and survived!

Dez
12-13-2009, 05:56 AM
I love a happy ending man. Glad that tank is kicking butt and survived!

Brett,

I am so sorry to hear about your tank sale. Shocked me. Keep sticking around man. I love your humour and most of all your POSITIVENESS! What goes around comes around man. My wife and I have been thinking about your family through this all. When we're down in Calgary over the holidays, if you need anything, let us know. We'll bring food for your family to save one meal that you have to cook if needed!

lastlight
12-13-2009, 06:07 AM
You know...I wasn't going to stick around. Not even sure I can but I'm going to try. You guys are still welcome to visit. You can show me your pheasant balls and I'll show you mine =)

Marlin65
12-13-2009, 02:07 PM
keep an eye out for those snails I thought I had eradicated all mine and then two months later they killed off another one of my clams.:twised:

Myka
12-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Sometimes people who don't know what they're doing make better sitters because they read the instructions better!! Plus they don't have confidence, so they are super careful.

Leah
12-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Dez,
How was Disneyland? Did you all have a good trip, manage to do all the rides?
Glad the tank did so well, while you were gone!
Bet you are glad to be home in the middle of the deep freeze, huh!
Leah

Dez
12-13-2009, 07:30 PM
It was a great trip. We did all the rides and many multiple times. It's a quiet time of the year to go. Hotels were great and kids had a TON of fun. They are super lucky kids (3 and 4 years old) and have been to Disneyland twice and Disneyworld once within a 16 month period.

It is crazy cold here though....brrrrr! Good to be back home in the swing of things though.

Dez
12-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Sometimes people who don't know what they're doing make better sitters because they read the instructions better!! Plus they don't have confidence, so they are super careful.

I know. I was getting picture reports from the tank and the purple gorgonian wasn't extending it's polyps because the wavy sea stops waving after a power outage. I didn't want to give him detailed intructions to start the wavy sea again, but instead, he did a one minute freshwater dip for me and used a soft toothbrush to brush the gorgonian and it's good as gold now.

He would refer to a coral like the brainy looking one or the yellow guy...etc. Quite awesome!

Myka
12-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Hehe, that's cute!!

Funky_Fish14
12-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Haha, thats awesome Dez!

Really glad to hear such a long time away from the tank went well!

Cheers,

Chris

Dez
12-20-2009, 12:02 AM
I just realized the severity of the power outage we had while we were away. We had our annual neighbourhood Christmas Turkey dinner last night. While talking to my next door neighbour, he said that it was about minus 30 outside when the power outage happened. Everybody said that their houses were like ice cubes. They had to turn on the gas fireplaces just to keep the living room warm.

I consider myself very lucky in this situation as my tank is sps dominant. To survive a 5 hour power outage with no one around is quite amazing!