PDA

View Full Version : Products for Reef/Coral growth???? NO ANSWER TO THE QUESTION!!!

The Grizz
12-13-2009, 03:11 AM
Hey all was wondering what everyone uses in there reef tanks to get the exceptional growth that I have been seeing in all your amazing system's.

There has been lot's of talk but no one has answered the question. I want to know more about the Veovit system such as procedure's, product and benifit's. As well as Seachem's Reef Builder as such.

Jessie55
12-13-2009, 03:33 AM
i haven't been doing sw that long but i just started using coral frenzy and it is making a major difference my cats paw turned white and i assumed was dead for 2 weeks so i just left the frag in there and after that started feeding coral frenzy. i noticed a few polyps coming back at first and now after another 2 weeks its almost back to what it looked like when i first got it. my birdsnest frag that i got 2 weeks ago is growing 7 branches already so i am pretty impressed:)

lorenz0
12-13-2009, 03:37 AM
stability, and not touching your corals at all

The Grizz
12-13-2009, 03:41 AM
stability, and not touching your corals at all
Ya your one to talk, snapping off frag's of your birds nest, lol. By the way frag is doing great & the brain is awesome. Thanks agian.

Skimmerking
12-13-2009, 03:41 AM
Ask Marie what she does she has extremely fast growing corals. I think that she is using CRACK or BLOW on her corals or even PEEING in the tank:wink:

The Grizz
12-13-2009, 03:47 AM
Ask Marie what she does she has extremely fast growing corals. I think that she is using CRACK or BLOW on her corals or even PEEING in the tank:wink:
Ok Marie, jig is up who's your dealer for your coral drug of chioce. But seriously what is your method of madness, your coral's a awesome.

lorenz0
12-13-2009, 04:09 AM
Ya your one to talk, snapping off frag's of your birds nest, lol. By the way frag is doing great & the brain is awesome. Thanks agian.

that actually was the first frag off of that birdsnest. its been sitting in that same spot for almost a year now. thats good to hear that everything is going great.

But its true, i have found that the stuff i have never moved has grown noticably compared to some of the corals i have moved around

JDigital
12-13-2009, 04:15 AM
Keeping your Ca, Alk, and Mag at the proper levels is important IMO..

lobsterboy
12-13-2009, 04:45 AM

same for me. :razz:

fishytime
12-13-2009, 04:59 AM

This .........and a shelf full o Zeo products(coral crack):lol:

The Grizz
John what is this veo system that you are using? I have heard of it but know nothing about it. How do you check your Alk and Mag?

freezetyle

those and actually letting your tank mature and stabilize. I had minimal growth for months because everything was fresh. then one day BAM! things need time to mature.

JDigital
12-13-2009, 05:07 AM
This .........and a shelf full o Zeo products(coral crack):lol:

hahaha... forgot about my line up... speaking of which, late for dosing! :lol:

Ya Dude
12-13-2009, 05:14 AM
if you havent had SW long I wouldnt consider coral frenzy as a fixer.Its just food which only helps healthy corals with polyp extention.try maintaining constant water parameters for a year steady and you wont have to dose anything.Master the basics first

The Grizz
12-13-2009, 05:18 AM
Ok just answered my own question. Found test kits for Magnessiun, Alkalinity. Ca stands for Calcium I hope

I have test kits for Calcium, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Amonia & KH. What else should I be testing for?

All test's done on my 155 since it has been up have been on the number's.

The Grizz
12-13-2009, 05:25 AM
if you havent had SW long I wouldnt consider coral frenzy as a fixer.Its just food which only helps healthy corals with polyp extention.try maintaining constant water parameters for a year steady and you wont have to dose anything.Master the basics first
Started 6 month ago with 2 - 65 gal. Up graded to 155 a couple of weeks ago. All water parameters have been spot on since start up. I have a $25,000 whole house RO system (live on acreage) that really helps, produce's water quality better them store bought water. You really don't know what you are drinking when you buy store bought water, lol, but I do.

Ya Dude
12-13-2009, 05:25 AM
sounds like you need to do a little research before you even worry about coral growth let alone alkalinity

The Grizz
12-13-2009, 05:41 AM
sounds like you need to do a little research before you even worry about coral growth let alone alkalinity
Please do tell what I need to research on, every little bit helps

Parker
12-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Here's some good articles:

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 1: The Salt Water Itself
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/rhf/index.php (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/rhf/index.php)

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php)

The "How To" Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 3: pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php)

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners,
Part 4: What Chemicals May Detrimentally Accumulate
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/rhf/index.php

The Grizz
12-14-2009, 02:31 AM
Thanks Parker, Part 1, 3 & 4 were all ready this I knew about. Part 2 is very much what I needed.

kien
12-14-2009, 09:09 AM
or even PEEING in the tank:wink:

does this work?!?!

The Grizz
12-15-2009, 02:45 AM
Original Question Never Answered

xtreme
12-15-2009, 02:51 AM
If you are looking for detailed info on Zeovit you should go to their forum (www.zeovit.com) and check it out as it is a very dynamic system to run. Here is a link to the General guide (http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/zeoguide_103_english-1.pdf).

The Grizz
12-15-2009, 02:55 AM
If you are looking for detailed info on Zeovit you should go to their forum (www.zeovit.com) and check it out as it is a very dynamic system to run. Here is a link to the General guide (http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/zeoguide_103_english-1.pdf).
Cool thanks dude, I will check it out. It's a part of my research for my tanks.

albert_dao
12-15-2009, 03:07 AM
So what's your tank looking like so far?

The Grizz
12-15-2009, 03:11 AM
So what's your tank looking like so far?
It's coming along well. Check out my album on it, let me know what you think. Having a tiny red alge problem right now though.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=247

lobsterboy
12-15-2009, 03:16 AM
Hey all was wondering what everyone uses in there reef tanks to get the exceptional growth that I have been seeing in all your amazing system's.

There has been lot's of talk but no one has answered the question. I want to know more about the Veovit system such as procedure's, product and benifit's. As well as Seachem's Reef Builder as such.

Hey Greg

the zeovit system is a bacteria based system that reduces nutrients in your aquarium.
the sytem uses zeolites (a special absorbant rock), which good bacteria can grow on, they are in a reactor and are shaken daily to relase a mulum and this mulum acts as a food source for corals. you add bacteria and bacerta food and coral food, small amounts of each to get the system going, and then adjust depending on your needs. heavy stocked tank, low stocked tank.
soemtime you need more or less of something, but mostly its consistant.

after a few weeks or months you can add other supplements to feed your corals, to give them more energry, and more color, and to replace those that have been consumed or removed. (carbon)

skimming, carbon, lighting and stable water (ca,kh,mg,salinty,K+) are a must.

this is the short answer of it, the system can get pretty in depth.

and for dosing, i am using reef builder to keep my KH in check (nightly) and reef advantage calcium (morning) both by seachem.

albert_dao
12-15-2009, 03:21 AM
Nevermind, just looked.

I wouldn't use any additives until you have more corals. Most of the products on the market (amino acids, etc) become waste without the requisit target biomass to take advantage of it. You could dose less, but then you run into dilution/capture issues.

Just pay attention to your basic parameters for now and spot feed whatever you can, whenever you can.

The Grizz
12-15-2009, 03:24 AM
Ya I was just reading the users guide that extreme sent me. My head is spinning,lol. But it will be good info for when my tank has been up for a year. My water parameter's have been constant at the required level's since start-up of the 155 and even before in the 2 - 65's. I am going to try out the Reef Builder it help maintain levels. Is that a good place to start John?

The Grizz
12-15-2009, 03:27 AM
Nevermind, just looked.

I wouldn't use any additives until you have more corals. Most of the products on the market (amino acids, etc) become waste without the requisit target biomass to take advantage of it. You could dose less, but then you run into dilution/capture issues.

Just pay attention to your basic parameters for now and spot feed whatever you can, whenever you can.
That is kinda what I was thinking, I definitly need more coral for the Zeo. But wanted to do the research just so I knew what it was all about. Anyone want to donate to my coral charity, lol.

albert_dao
12-15-2009, 05:56 AM
That is kinda what I was thinking, I definitly need more coral for the Zeo. But wanted to do the research just so I knew what it was all about. Anyone want to donate to my coral charity, lol.

Sweet suggestion warning:

You have been warned...

Skip the donations. Hit up the LFS and get the biggest piece of Frogspawn you can find. Takes up a lot of room, good movement, super easy to keep, pretty cheap for a larger colony and will often eat like a pig. You can't go wrong.

BTW, I noticed you had a gorgonian in your tank - of the awkwardly gorgeous non-photosynthetic variety. Take that thing back to the store and get your money back. Thank me later.

The Grizz
12-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Which Gorg is that, the yellow one? Why do you say that? I have a huge Hammer now and a octospawn & frogspawn love them.

albert_dao
12-15-2009, 06:21 AM
Both of them are what I call "sucker sales". That is to say, store owners breath a sigh of relief after they get rid of those things. They require too much effort to keep alive (in the form of feedings, the frequency of which quickly becomes obnoxious to the average reef keeper) and quickly decline in the confines of most store displays and/or reef tanks. You can see some of this happening in your specimens in the form of the smaller than usual polyps and receded tissue.

lorenz0
12-15-2009, 07:14 AM
You don't need full zeo on your system if you want corals to thrive

Like i said at the start of this thread, keeping all of your levels stable is the #1 thing you can do for coral growth. Lighting is a factor but i know you have that covered after talking to you. I have heard of alot of people having great sucess with the system but you also have to remember its very time consuming and everything has to be done on a schedual which means it makes it that much harder to go away unless you have someone to look after your tank twice a day keeping up with your schedual.

To me i personally like to keep things as simple as possiable. Once you start complicating things there are to many variables that can go wrong.

edikpok
12-15-2009, 08:04 AM
I usually feed my LPS corals with mysis shrimps once a week. When the tentacles come out, LPS will grab and hold on to the food before closing up on it. Mysis shrimps are good size and you get good growth with it. I usually do it 2 days before a water change so that I can clean the polution afterwards :) No other additives. Actually, most of your corals can "eat" mysis shrimps!

As was mentioned above, the yellow Gorg does look nice but it is very hard to keep them alive for longer periods as they are NOT photosynthtic.

edikpok
12-15-2009, 08:04 AM
I usually feed my LPS corals with mysis shrimps once a week. When the tentacles come out, LPS will grab and hold on to the food before closing up on it. Mysis shrimps are good size and you get good growth with it. I usually do it 2 days before a water change so that I can clean the polution afterwards :) No other additives. Actually, most of your corals can "eat" mysis shrimps!

As was mentioned above, the yellow Gorg does look nice but it is very hard to keep them alive for longer periods as they are NOT photosynthtic.

globaldesigns
12-15-2009, 05:20 PM

Pee! that is what it takes...

Lance
12-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Pee! that is what it takes...

No, that only works on jelly fish stings.

untamed
12-15-2009, 06:10 PM
No, that only works on jelly fish stings.

Hee..hee... I've actually done that. I'm not sure it really worked, but it was pretty amusing.

To the original question. I agree with stability on the big four: Salinity, Ca, Alk, Temp. Good lighting and water changes to supplement trace elements. That was what I was doing when I had my most success. Uncomplicated, but not necessarily easy to do.

Since having a year of setback, I'm now also a believer in massive skimming.

The Grizz
12-16-2009, 12:14 AM
All my water parameter's have been on the mark from the begining of the 65 gal tanks and have continued in to my 155. As all my LR, LS and water went into it from the 65's. Corals are doing much better with the addition of the 3 - 250 MH 14k's. I really just wanted to know what this Zeovit system was out of curiosity. As long as every thing in my tank is doing well thats all that matter's.

As for the gorg I got it dirt cheap from a fellow CanReefer and it has been incredible. It seem to know that feeding time at night is just after the MH go out(as does everything else) and out come the polyps looking for there melted cube of food. Not to mention when the light's completly go out and the LED moon light's come on, look cool in the glow.

kien
12-16-2009, 12:26 AM
I think people are choosing to use ZEOvit over Veovit.. Although I'm sure Veovit has some good products too :-)

That said though, there are lots of people with awesome tanks that don't use either ZEOvit or Veovit.

The Grizz
12-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Oh hush, give me a brake just got my left arm out of a cast for 12.5 weeks. still not working right,lol