PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone found anything to eat caulerpa (excluding fish that is)

Delphinus
12-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Fighting a losing battle in my carpet tank with caulerpa. Manual removal is the only thing I've got going but it's not really good enough because it breaks too easy.

Tank is way too small for a tang or a rabbit (which I've had luck with before for eating the stuff). Was wondering if there's an urchin or something I could consider putting in there to help with the fight...

Veng68
12-12-2009, 06:22 PM
I wonder if humans can eat it?

That would add some fiber to the diet ;)

Cheers,
Vic

Funky_Fish14
12-12-2009, 06:37 PM
I moved my longspine urchin from my fuge to my main tank cause he ate a crapload of caulerpa and cheato in like 4-6 hours. He was draining any sort of macro any time he ever went near it. I've got a few urchins, have had several, and a few of them at a time seem to keep algae down fairly well :) Maybe thats an option?

Cheers,

Chris

Delphinus
12-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Ok thanks. Maybe if I can find a smallish diadema (longspine) because the tank is only 12" tall. IME they dont stay small for too long but even if I had to rehome him in a couple months, if in the meantime the caulerpa is mowed down, I'd be happy.

Thanks for the suggestions .. :)