PDA

View Full Version : Blown fuse = Dead fish

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-12-2009, 01:34 AM
Well, after taking my first day off in over a month & spending the night hanging out with my baby girl at my parents place, find out at 1pm this afternoon that the fuse on our fowlr tank had blown last night. My wife was at her parents watching over her mom who had an elevated blood pressure, so she stayed there over night.

The one night in months when both of us are not home all night & Murphy's law hits.

Lost:

My prized Powder Brown/Gold rim tang
Lemon Peel angel
Black clown
True Percula
Blue Throat female trigger

MIA:

2 Coral Beauty angels

My larger fish survived, but 5 (probably 7) fish succumbed to the cold. Temp this afternoon was less than 70F (didn't register on the stick on thermometer), as opposed to 76-78F normally.

Since we weren't sleeping at home, I didn't turn up the heat in the house & so unfortunately the powerless fowlr could not handle the cold night time temps.

Note to self. No more days off:twised:

Luckily, with a good day off hanging out with my baby girl allows me to be more calm about this setback than I would have been 24 hours ago.

Now that the temp is back up to 74 & rising, the fish are more active & not looking like death "warmed" over.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Anthony

Lance
12-12-2009, 01:39 AM
So sorry to hear this Anthony. Hopefully, the remaining livestock is ok.

PoonTang
12-12-2009, 01:56 AM
Sorry to hear about your losses Anthony. I too recently came home to a powerless tank-o-death.

Veng68
12-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Sorry to here about that Anthony :(

Cheers,
Vic

Leah
12-12-2009, 02:18 AM
Oh no! so sorry to hear this.

blueworm
12-12-2009, 02:27 AM
damn that sucks!

Marlin65
12-12-2009, 02:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss not much you could have done to prevent that one. Don't let it hold you back from getting out though.

fishoholic
12-12-2009, 03:19 AM
That sucks, I hope the rest of the fish are ok.

hillegom
12-12-2009, 03:24 AM
Sorry to hear that Anthony

Delphinus
12-12-2009, 04:14 AM
I'm so sorry Anthony. :( Good luck with the survivors.

This hobby can be so harsh sometimes.

no_bs
12-12-2009, 04:49 AM
Sorry to hear Anthony.

burgerchow
12-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Hey Anthony, sorry about your fish. Is the porcupine still o.k?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-12-2009, 07:08 AM
It was touch & go for Poofie there, but as soon as it warmed to 74F, he started swimming around & ate 5 freezed dried pink shrimp. The only one that is still a ? is the Sargassum trigger.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. It does suck to lose so many fish from something as little as this, but at least I had a really good day/night spending time with my baby girl, Felicia yesterday. With so much work, really haven't had a lot of quality time in the last few weeks.

The corals & anemones came through the crisis no problem. Really hardy specimens I guess.

Anthony

ref leppard
12-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Sorry for the loss! ............. Boxing day is coming!

StirCrazy
12-12-2009, 02:34 PM
that sucks, so what was the cause.. you mentioned a blowen fuse in the title but no info on that.

I know this is a little late now but what I have always done is set my system on at least two different breakers.. so I will have one heater on each, my return pump on a different one that the powerheads, and lights split between the two. this way if I blow a fuse or a power bar I still have heat light and flow.

Steve

sphelps
12-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Very sad stuff, sorry for your losses. I recently had a similar experience so I feel your pain, it's very hard to replace certain livestock especially if they were well adapted.

As Steve said it's always best to have your system on at least two independent breakers. I run noncritical loads like lighting, skimmer and other filters on one breaker with GFI and critical loads like the return and heater on another breaker without GFI. Also avoid using power bars as they are often prone to failure.

christyf5
12-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Wow, sorry to hear Anthony. At least the remaining stuff pulled through :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-13-2009, 03:21 AM
Unfortunately, I have 6 tanks, total volume 650 gallons (4 sw & 2 fw) on two breakers. I have my main reef (210g with 80g sump) split between two breakers, which is why that tank didn't suffer any damage. If I try to split the fowlr/seahorse fuge tank between two, then I would be in trouble. They are only 15 amp breakers. Old house, old electrical system.:cry:

The remaining fish are all looking happy & healthy again, so thank God for small blessings. Back home tonight, so hopefully I'll spot the missing Coral beauties.

Anthony

Ron99
12-13-2009, 04:20 AM
Sorry about what happened Anthony. Hope it all works out. These things always seem to happen when you decide to be away :(

Tom R
12-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Sorry to here of your loss.

I know the problem (just not enough electricity to maintainer my salt water habit).

LOL

When a contractor builds a home he never thinks of a salt water hobbyist.

Hope all is now under control.

Tom R

fkshiu
12-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Wow, that sucks dude.

Let me know if you need any help.

sphelps
12-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Unfortunately, I have 6 tanks, total volume 650 gallons (4 sw & 2 fw) on two breakers. I have my main reef (210g with 80g sump) split between two breakers, which is why that tank didn't suffer any damage. If I try to split the fowlr/seahorse fuge tank between two, then I would be in trouble. They are only 15 amp breakers. Old house, old electrical system.:cry:

Doesn't exactly sound like a safe electrical setup, running new lines and installing new breakers is a fairly easy task even with old systems. If you absolutely can't do it you should consider downsizing your electrical load which yes may mean limiting yourself to only two tanks. Overloading your homes electrical capabilities is a classic recipe for a fire. Remember the breaker is a safety switch, the fact that it fires is a clear sign you're doing something wrong. Just saying perhaps coming home a couple dead fish could be looked at as a wake up call, next time it could be coming home to a nothing.