PDA

View Full Version : 911 Help!!

Reef_surfer
12-11-2009, 06:44 AM
so i just got home from being out and i think my heater didnt want to turn off. my temp is at 92.2 f and my potters angel is dead. think the sea hare is dead corals are not looking good at all what should i do immideately??

thanks

elitesurfer
12-11-2009, 06:45 AM
so i just got home from being out and i think my heater didnt want to turn off. my temp is at 92.2 f and my potters angel is dead. think the sea hare is dead corals are not looking good at all what should i do immideately??

thanks

I read somewhere people using ice packs and ice cubes packets to bring the temp down.

Reef_surfer
12-11-2009, 06:47 AM
i have a bag of ice in the sump and some ice packs in the DT but noone looks good right now should i do a water change ?

zazzoo
12-11-2009, 06:49 AM
do a water change asap ..

elitesurfer
12-11-2009, 06:50 AM
i have a bag of ice in the sump and some ice packs in the DT but noone looks good right now should i do a water change ?

I don't see any harm in doing water change if you have the saltwater mix ready for use. Good luck man. Hope everything else goes back to normal.

Reef_surfer
12-11-2009, 07:15 AM
did a water change temp has come down but i dont know what to do about the heater ? is it ok to leave off for the night

zazzoo
12-11-2009, 07:21 AM
just leave the heater off ... the tank wont drop below temp to much better cooler then HOT

o.c.d.
12-11-2009, 03:19 PM
just leave the heater off ... the tank wont drop below temp to much better cooler then HOT
How about throw the piece of sh$% out! What a nightmare, this is where you get back at the company who makes it by telling everyone the make and model so none of us buy it. I hope you can resurrect your tank, good luck

Skimmerking
12-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Well the ice packs are going to work, and I would probably throw in a bunch of ice cubes in the sump. I would not worry about the the tap water ice cubes getting the temp down is the big thing. In a small tank the tap water ice cubes shouldnt be a issue IE like phosphates.

just make sure that you have alot of oxygen in the tank as you know that the colder the water that more O2 is in the water, the hotter is the less I would throw in a air stone too. Good luck man......

keep us informed

Reef_surfer
12-11-2009, 04:40 PM
How about throw the piece of sh$% out! What a nightmare, this is where you get back at the company who makes it by telling everyone the make and model so none of us buy it. I hope you can resurrect your tank, good luck

well if you guys would like to know the heater its a won pro heat titanium heater. heres the link http://www.marinedepot.com/heaters_won_brothers_pro-heat_titanium-ap.html

Well the ice packs are going to work, and I would probably throw in a bunch of ice cubes in the sump. I would not worry about the the tap water ice cubes getting the temp down is the big thing. In a small tank the tap water ice cubes shouldnt be a issue IE like phosphates.

just make sure that you have alot of oxygen in the tank as you know that the colder the water that more O2 is in the water, the hotter is the less I would throw in a air stone too. Good luck man......

keep us informed

well the temp has come down i had the heater out all night and it dropped to 72.5 i am turning the heater back on and keeping a close eye on what made it not turn off. so far the casualties are just the potters angel. but my acro isnt looking good and some zoa's aswell as my open brain

cchomistek
12-11-2009, 04:53 PM
I have that same heater, did you ever find out what made it stay on?? Was it pretty old and corroded??

Thanks
Craig

Reef_surfer
12-11-2009, 05:31 PM
no nothing looks wrong i think something towards the plugin end when i played around with it the indecator light would turn off and on

Funky_Fish14
12-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Ahh I see way too many of those Won Brothers heaters fail. They seem terrible. :(

Sorry to hear about your potters! Good luck with the rest! Anything that is dead/does die you should remove immediately. I'd probably do another smaller (15-25%) water change tomorrow.

All the best,

Chris

OceanicCorals-Ian-
12-11-2009, 06:21 PM
I would highly suggest that everyone run something like a temp controller or something like it. So many disasters would be avoided if these were used by everyone. I would never depend on any heater to properly regulate the temp.

Here is a link to what I am talking about.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TW-DC&Category_Code=

Chipie
12-11-2009, 06:45 PM
I have a Won heater but it's on a Ranco dual stage controller. I won't trust any heater. They all can fail. I had 2 Theo a visi-therm heater stick on. Hope your livestock recover.

Parker
12-11-2009, 08:15 PM
If you choose to run without a controller another good tip is to run two smaller heaters that singley can't overheat your tank. Both would have to fail at the same time in order for a tank overheat.

sphelps
12-11-2009, 08:18 PM
You're on a long road to recovery at this point, when you cook a tank it has long term effects. A lot of the sponges and other live matter within the rock is likely dead again so you essentially have to re-cure all the rock. If your tank isn't well established you're better off starting from scratch.

I've been through this exact same scenario with other people before, it's not pretty.

Reef_surfer
12-12-2009, 02:21 AM
ah i dont like the news people are giving me i have been doing testing. most of the corals look ok now its just the frogspawn. im going to be doing tests right away. i did do a water change and took all the casualties out.

Reef_surfer
12-12-2009, 03:58 AM
just finished a test
ammonia-0
Nitrate- between 0-5
phosphate -.25

everything seems to be stable

Madreefer
12-12-2009, 07:09 PM
I have an icecream bucket that I fill with water from my tank and freeze it. I just drop the big ice cube back in to my sump. Have had no ill effects and helps alot to bring the heat down. See no harm in using actual tank water. Only done this during hot summer days.

naesco
12-12-2009, 09:53 PM
just finished a test
ammonia-0
Nitrate- between 0-5
phosphate -.25

everything seems to be stable

It is good to see everything stabilize.
Reef surfer if the problem tank is a 17 gallon tank, don't even think of replacing the passer angel. Even online stores recommend a minimum 55 gallon tank.
Your tank can only accommodate 2-3 very small fish.