PDA

View Full Version : Kalk and MaxiJets question: corrosion?

trilinearmipmap
12-11-2009, 03:32 AM
I just set up my auto-topoff on my 30 gallon cube (Auto-topoff.com float switches connected to a Maxijet in a bucket of RO water).

I would like to run kalk. I have an old kalkreactor but I'd like to keep it simple as the more complicated things are, the more room for error and the more maintenance headaches.

Has anyone dosed kalk directly with a MaxiJet in a bucket of kalkwater? I know the kalk could corrode the MaxiJet, is this going to happen quickly or over a year or two? If the corrosion is going to be a big problem then I will feed the kalkreactor in series from the Maxijet in the bucket of RO topoff water.

rockworm
12-11-2009, 01:14 PM
I use a PM kalk reactor which uses a MJ400 instead of a stir stick. However, the MJ is not immersed. I have had mine running for about 18 months with no problems yet. I do anticipate replacing the impeller as these will break down over a period of time. The MJ's are epoxy encased so water will not penetrate. However, I do not know what the impact of kalk would be on the body, so I personally would be hesitant to immerse it.

I do run my kalk in line with my RO. The MJ moves the water from the top off container through the kalk reactor and into the sump. This has worked well for me.

PoonTang
12-11-2009, 11:50 PM
I dose Kalk from my ATO bucket with a MJ same as you are planning on doing. The MJ is submerged in saturated Kalk 24/7. I have only had 1 set of impellers rot off in the last 2 years. The pumps are fine but the fins corrode off the impellers. I think you can buy replacement impellers for the MJ.

trilinearmipmap
12-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the replies, I will risk a used MaxiJet and see how long it lasts.