PDA

View Full Version : catch an angel

slough shark
12-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Any tips/ tricks on how to get a fish into a net? Short of ripping apart my rock work.
Any help would be much appreciated.
derek

JDigital
12-11-2009, 01:40 AM
Take 2ltr Pop bottle, rinse it out, cut the "cone" part off, put some mysis or such in the bottle... lower into the tank, let fish swim in... Yank out! :mrgreen:

Worth a try anyways.

slough shark
12-11-2009, 02:10 AM
didnt work, all the tangs and clowns just tore it apart.
anything else?

JDigital
12-11-2009, 02:25 AM
If you got another pop bottle, you could try making the hole only large enough for clowns/angel??..

If you stick with the net, it's just gonna take some patience and time (maybe some luck.. haha)

fishytime should be able to chime in.. can't remember how he caught his bi-color.

bvlester
12-11-2009, 05:24 AM
You can use a glass mixing bowl insted and a plait wate for the angle to swim in and place the plait over the entrance. It has to be a clear mixing bowl one they can see through or they may figure it out onthe other hand if they can not see through it and you can leave it in the tank for a day. On the other hand they may think its a new cave if they can not see though it and be at home with it then you can sneek up an them and cover it.

Bill

burgerchow
12-11-2009, 06:43 AM
try using some porous net-like cloth, make a big square and tie 4 strings to each of the corners. Sink the cloth to the bottom of your tank. When you feed the fish, they should all come to the top and you pull up your net and then isolate out the angel with another dip net.

or, " got a small fishing rod and barbless no 12 hooks ? " Might be fun. lol

Zoaelite
12-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Ahh sorry derek , this is all my bad I should of known he would go for more than just plate coral. I had to completely rip my tank apart to get him, hes a sneaky little fish.

whatcaneyedo
12-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Ocean Aquatics sells a fish trap by Aqua-Medic http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/264/AquaMedic-Fish-Trap/

Delphinus
12-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Tangs and clowns tore apart a pop bottle? :neutral: Are these the most vicious tangs and clowns ever or was the bottle made out of tissue paper???

FWIW I second the pop bottle trick, but if that doesn't work, get some acrylic and start closing off sections of the tank to the fish. Eggcrate too maybe but acrylic and glass is invisible to them so you'll do better that way.

I had zero luck with store-bought traps. Problem is they're so huge they don't fit anywhere where the fish go, and they're almost neutrally buoyant so bobs around in the current. Worth a shot though. Check with Red Coral, I believe they have one you can borrow or rent.

bulletsworld
12-11-2009, 09:02 PM
FWIW I second the pop bottle trick, but if that doesn't work, get some acrylic and start closing off sections of the tank to the fish. Eggcrate too maybe but acrylic and glass is invisible to them so you'll do better that way.

I second the eggcrate. I use two sheets, twist tie them together, coax the fish to a corner of your tank by using two nets to scare him out of his spot. Then once I got the fish down on the corner I slam down the eggcrate. This makes it easier to catch the fish since there is no rocks and no place for him to hide. Use a wide net to scoop him up. Still takes time and patience though. I know its frustrating.

If you still haven't catch him by the time I get back to Calgary, I will bring my eggcrate sheets, nets and we will catch him. :)

kien
12-11-2009, 09:19 PM
this is how I catch fish..

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/howtotrapafish.jpg?t=1260569884

I just leave the panel of glass or acrylic in there for a little while so that they get used to it being there. Then when you're ready to trap, throw their dinner into The Triangle of Doom!! :lol:

Coleus
12-15-2009, 12:55 AM
I second the eggcrate. I use two sheets, twist tie them together, coax the fish to a corner of your tank by using two nets to scare him out of his spot. Then once I got the fish down on the corner I slam down the eggcrate. This makes it easier to catch the fish since there is no rocks and no place for him to hide. Use a wide net to scoop him up. Still takes time and patience though. I know its frustrating.

If you still haven't catch him by the time I get back to Calgary, I will bring my eggcrate sheets, nets and we will catch him. :)

Lee, maybe you can help me catching my altantic blue tang too. He is the biggest one in the tank and so smart that he hide everytime i put the net down, so can't trap him at all. Please help! He is picking on all my little fish

new but handy
12-15-2009, 03:26 AM
feed it out of a net for a few weeks. Then lift the net out with the fish in it.
might work

bulletsworld
12-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Lee, maybe you can help me catching my altantic blue tang too. He is the biggest one in the tank and so smart that he hide everytime i put the net down, so can't trap him at all. Please help! He is picking on all my little fish

Did you try moving around all your live rock so that the altantic blue has hiding spots? Some times that all it takes to stop his aggression and then you dont have to remove the beautiful fish.

If that doesn't work.... You are welcome to come over to borrow my eggcrate, basket and nets. Besides, I've caught a few fish already at your place. :biggrin: ITS YOUR TURN! :lol:

Toolman
12-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Hey Lee, Tai is trying to catch tang for me. Help me out and catch it for me .... LOL

Randy
Ps Crazy Joe says Hi

bulletsworld
12-19-2009, 06:11 AM
Hey Lee, Tai is trying to catch tang for me. Help me out and catch it for me .... LOL

Randy
Ps Crazy Joe says Hi

HEY RANDY!

You guys have got to be kidding me...two strong guys can't catch a fish!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Years back I used to be called the fish doc, now I'm the fish catcher!! BHAHAHAAAA :lol:

I will trade you fish catching for Joe back???? O.K and $10 bucks. FAIR? :biggrin: :lol: If you guys don't catch him in the new year, when I get back in town. I will help you guys. K?

Say Hi back to Crazy Joe for me! Tell him I miss him!

Toolman
12-19-2009, 07:20 PM
That is not fair, I told Tai to use worms but he said No !! LOL
How hard can it be to outsmart a fish with a brain the size of a pea ?? :biggrin:

Joe says "What"

Toolman
12-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Tai, you the man. Hey Lee, Tai caught the Tang and Crazy Joe get's to stay here. YAY !!! LOL

my2rotties
12-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Leeanne is the fish catching expert. She managed to get a huge unicorn tang out of my tank and we did not have to touch the rocks as it was not an option. Her boyfriend and I stood there laughing at her, and looked like dummies within five minutes.

She should make a business out of it.

HEY RANDY!

You guys have got to be kidding me...two strong guys can't catch a fish!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Years back I used to be called the fish doc, now I'm the fish catcher!! BHAHAHAAAA :lol:

I will trade you fish catching for Joe back???? O.K and $10 bucks. FAIR? :biggrin: :lol: If you guys don't catch him in the new year, when I get back in town. I will help you guys. K?

Say Hi back to Crazy Joe for me! Tell him I miss him!

Blakes Living Reef.ca
12-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Easiest way is to buy a large fish net, cut off the net, insert a large clear bag into the net frame opening rolling the bag opening around the edge of the net frame. Add some food inside the bag or corner the fish. Since the bag is clear the fish will swim into it allowing you to pull it out. I have used this many times with no issues. You should never net a fish --> the net material will damage the fishes slime coating allowing infection.

salty210
01-07-2010, 03:26 AM
Try using two pcs of glass the same height of your tank so he doesn't jump over. If you can, place one pc. in the tank so that one side is against the tank, and the other side is open Leave it for awhile untill the fish get accustomed to it. Eventually your angel will swim between the glass and tank, as he does quickly block the other end with the other pc of glass. This has worked for me several times,
be patient. Caution with a net, Angels have small barbs around gills and can get tangled up in your net.
Good fishing.

Coleus
01-07-2010, 07:05 PM
hmm how would you recommend to catch a golden angel that is always hide and does not come out and feed but still very fat and healthy. I want to catch him to trade for a flames angel because i hate seeing him once or twice per day.

reef_to_reef
01-14-2010, 03:44 AM
I had to catch a flame angle out of my reef, took me about 1 week to get the lil guy. I tried everything, I ended up using eggcrate and blocking off half the tank then kept on adding pieces till i got him in a small blocked off section and then just used a net :)