PDA

View Full Version : Holy am I confused!

fishhunter8
12-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Help! I'm have a 90g tank made "reef ready" The guy asks me where do I want the drain hole and where do I want the return hole... Um good question. Where is the best place for them if I am putting a sump underneath the tank? Thanks
Riley

globaldesigns
12-10-2009, 09:52 PM
I think you need to describe your setup a bit more.

Do you have overflows?

With my tank I have to overflows. I have 2 holes in each overflow on the bottom, one is the drain which is plumbed into the refuge and one is the return, again plumbed from the refuge (using the return pump)

With the return, again plumbed, it runs back into the tank through the bottom and then there is plumbing inside the overflow to take the return and run it out the front of the overflow, a few inches below the waterline. So there is also a hole in the front glass of the overflow for this.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

fishhunter8
12-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Okay so the tank im ordering has one over flow on the left and the drain is gonna be at the bottom. The return hole on the top right (Im thinking better circulation). Does this sound logical?

Stones
12-10-2009, 11:23 PM
If you are getting this tank made and you still have the option, I'd really consider having a 2nd hole drilled in the overflow next to the main drain. That way you will be able to put a gate valve or ball valve on the main drain and a standpipe in the other hole so you can run a herbie style overflow.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g47/prestieb/Herbieoverflow.jpg

fishytime
12-10-2009, 11:32 PM
One hole for a drain!:razz::lol:....I it were my tank I would have him punch an extra hole to do a "Herbie" style drain...you will be glad you did.... the return can be anywhere you want it... back wall, side wall, through the overflow box....up as high as possible

Oh.....and have fun with the new tank:wink:

mark
12-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Go Herbie!