PDA

View Full Version : puffer in a reef tank?

fishhunter8
12-10-2009, 01:08 AM
Hi everyone, bare with me here as I am new to salt water.
Setting up a 90g reef tank, is it possible to put a puffer in a reef tank? I have read that they are not compatible with a reef tank. Has anyone ever successfully had a puffer in their reef tank? I would not be doing this until I had a bit more experience in salt water but just looking to the future. Any insight to this question would be much appreciated. Thanks

fishytime
12-10-2009, 01:18 AM
with extreme caution I believe would be the best answer....they will kill and eat fish smaller than them....sometimes shrimp and other inverts are on the menu as well...its a roll of the dice IMO

fishhunter8
12-10-2009, 01:43 AM
well thats unfortunate, if I were to set up another tank later on down the road what fish could go with the puffer?

The Grizz
12-10-2009, 03:48 AM
I have a Vallintini Puffer in a 75 gal Corner FOWLR tank with a Picasso Trigger, Cinnimon Clown, Snowflake Eel, Yellow Tang, Fox Face Lo and doing fine all of them. The puffer is the coolest little puffer I have ever see, really neat coloring and behavior.

manaf
12-10-2009, 03:54 AM
i have a valentini puffer in my reef, with coral banded shrimp and he has never harmed anything , hes been there for about 2 months and i havent seen nibbles or any loss of some sort, its really depends on the puffer and their personality imo

The Grizz
12-10-2009, 04:02 AM
I had a few corals in my pred tank for a while before I had my 155 set-up completed the only thing I noticed my puffer nipping at was a frag of digitali nothing else.