PDA

View Full Version : Top-Off Container

Werbo
12-09-2009, 02:14 AM
This will be be my first auto-top off for a 180G total volume system. I currently lose about 1.5 G per day to evaporation. Looking at different options for a top off container attached to a Kent float valve? Space is real tight as I only have 11 inches between the top of the sump and my stand. From the stand to the wall is only 4.75 inches and there is plugs also to consider. Not doing any dosing (or kalk).

2 options:

1.)Looking at these 7G water camping containers.
http://relianceproducts.com/products/hydration/79.html

2.) Bought a 40G breeder that I was gonna cut to a customized size to suit my needs. Only problem is getting water from the 5G jug into the top-off tank with the space constrainants.

There's alot of smart people on this board. Looking for you help/experience. Input on my thoughts on using the Kent float valve would also be appreciated. Are the Tunze ATO worth the $$$'s

Aquattro
12-09-2009, 03:41 AM
Why will you not listen to me?? Send the girl to the spa for the day, and plumb your RO through the wall into the bathroom plumbing. I'm almost certain we could patch it all up before spa day ends!!! :)

new but handy
12-09-2009, 03:56 AM
I run mine on a humidifyer float valve from Home depot. Same as Kent but no name = $15 savings.

fkshiu
12-09-2009, 06:12 AM
My Tunze Osmolator has been worth every penny.

bvlester
12-09-2009, 06:26 AM
My JBJ ATO is worth what I payed for it I use a 5g water bottle and aqualifter.

Bill

Dez
12-09-2009, 07:04 AM
I concur with Aquattro. At that rate of evaporation. I'd be super annoyed topping it off daily. Even if you had a 5 gallon pail, your still topping off the pail every 3 days.

I used to run my auto top off from the basement to my 180 directly to the float valve from my water pipes (through a carbon filter to remove chlorine). However, those were the days that I was just using tap water.

mike31154
12-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I use a glass wine making carboy pressurized with a small air pump. The air pressure pushes the water through a humidifier float valve attached to the rim of the display. I currently run sumplees so the container sits on a stand next to the DT. The carboy holds about 7 gallons and lasts about 5 days with my current rate of evap. The glass is heavier than a plastic container, but this way there are no issues whatsoever regarding food grade plastic etc. It obviously won't fit over your sump, but with a little ingenuity you may be able to disguise it or otherwise make it look purty. Maybe a wicker container to cover the plain glass, something like that. Then you don't need to worry about access constraints in a tight location.

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pZsOIL5MHouCiJ4l6ay_SO3yoK8x9tnNl7O6gsWiIhn9xrc-T5ipBovINDOfxoitdKQDUFpJYqdFxiThuhbrvag/FloatValve.JPG

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pkBTAQZE04Pn0ysdsG0M30bp6rYNY4yCksujCPyFQ1e2yXng _8NWdfjkLzuNsb60BCiWQtT3Hwu0CTeJGCEbEzQ/Carboy.JPG

viperfish
12-09-2009, 04:48 PM
I use a $6 Rubbermaid garbage can (food safe plastic of course) from Canadian Tire and humidifier float valve. The float valve looks exactly like the Kent for a fraction of the price (this hobby is funny that way!). JBJ ATO on my 180 Gal and Tsunami ATO on my 90, both work very well. I have my RO/DI plumbed into both reseviors and my 80 Gal water change barrell as well.

Reefer Rob
12-09-2009, 07:48 PM
You can plumb a line to your tank from an area in your house where you have enough space for a decent size reservoir. The reservoir I have in my garage, about 25 ft of 1/2" PVC away from my tank gives me enough water for 3 weeks of top off in my 180. It's nice not to be chained to your tank.

StirCrazy
12-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Why will you not listen to me?? Send the girl to the spa for the day, and plumb your RO through the wall into the bathroom plumbing. I'm almost certain we could patch it all up before spa day ends!!! :)

and how long did I try to get you to do that instead of having hoses lying on the floor?:wink:

Steve

StirCrazy
12-09-2009, 09:33 PM
This will be be my first auto-top off for a 180G total volume system. I currently lose about 1.5 G per day to evaporation. Looking at different options for a top off container attached to a Kent float valve? Space is real tight as I only have 11 inches between the top of the sump and my stand. From the stand to the wall is only 4.75 inches and there is plugs also to consider. Not doing any dosing (or kalk).

2 options:

1.)Looking at these 7G water camping containers.
http://relianceproducts.com/products/hydration/79.html

2.) Bought a 40G breeder that I was gonna cut to a customized size to suit my needs. Only problem is getting water from the 5G jug into the top-off tank with the space constrainants.

There's alot of smart people on this board. Looking for you help/experience. Input on my thoughts on using the Kent float valve would also be appreciated. Are the Tunze ATO worth the $$$'s

In the summer you will lose a lot more water every day. do you have a closet or something close buy you could put a 40 gal container in and then just plumb a small water line to the tank?

I had 110 gal res for top off and it was nice only haveing to top it off ever 2 or 3 weeks.

Steve

BWI
12-11-2009, 04:33 PM
We carry a large selection of food grade containers in all sizes that can be shipped!!!!