PDA

View Full Version : Murderers in my tank

elitesurfer
12-08-2009, 11:40 PM
I have been thinking all this time that my live rock had few Vermetid Snails that come out at night. The tentacles come out 2-3" out of the rock. I've found 2 of my cerith snails dead on the same rock in a two night span. Are there any snail predators that look like Vermetid Snails?

bvlester
12-09-2009, 01:24 AM
bristel worms and hermit crabs will kill snails I saw a bristel worm crawling up under a snail and he managed to get under its mantel found it dead in the morning when I turned the lights on a bristel worm come out and into the sand. Which means there is not much food left sitting on the bottom of the tank so I don't thisnk I over feed. I have never lost a snail that was on the glass or on a rock. Bristel worms are opitunistic hunters so I think there may have been something wrong with the snail that I saw maybe a hermit attacked it first.

Bill

elitesurfer
12-09-2009, 02:14 AM
bristel worms and hermit crabs will kill snails I saw a bristel worm crawling up under a snail and he managed to get under its mantel found it dead in the morning when I turned the lights on a bristel worm come out and into the sand. Which means there is not much food left sitting on the bottom of the tank so I don't thisnk I over feed. I have never lost a snail that was on the glass or on a rock. Bristel worms are opitunistic hunters so I think there may have been something wrong with the snail that I saw maybe a hermit attacked it first.

Bill

I never liked hermits, so my tank only has astreas and ceriths. Its quite mysterious why only ceriths are dying lol. Astreas are active on the rock/glass everyday.
Hmm bristleworms might be the murderers. I'll try to spy on them tonight. :)

Marlin65
12-09-2009, 03:23 AM
I think you might have those clam eating snails I had those as well small about a 1/4" sucking the life out of clam or snail.