PDA

View Full Version : Bulbs not firing as blue (xm20k)

corpusse
12-08-2009, 03:33 AM
On my frag tank I run a single 250W SE XM20k bulb. The bulb was really old and looking really white so I replaced it. The new bulb has basically the same colour. It almost looks like when the bulb is fired that it's the purpleish blue then shifts to a whiter colour before it reaches its full brightness.

The ballast I'm using is a coralvue 250w electronic ballast. I should mention some months ago my frag tank cracked and the ballast got wet but not soaked. I didn't use it for a few months as the tank was repaired and when I went to use it again it fired up fine.

On the one hand I don't think it's the bulbs because I did try a new one. On the other hand I don't think it's the ballast because if it got damaged it probably wouldn't work at all and seeing as it does work I find it unlikely it's damaged.

thoughts? thanks

gobytron
12-08-2009, 05:52 PM
IME, all halides have to "burn in" to some degree.
You'll want to give them 20 or 30 hours of use before they get to be their true colour.

It was about 20 or 30 hours with my bulbs anyways.

parkinsn
12-08-2009, 05:56 PM
with MH's your technically supposed to burn them for 24 hours stright to get the proper color. It will take a few days before you get the true color of the lamp.