PDA

View Full Version : Smaller sized PE mysis coming spring 2010

Chin_Lee
12-08-2009, 12:44 AM
I recently emailed PE Mysis regarding getting smaller sized PE mysis shrimps. Here is their response:

Thank you very much for your email. I really enjoying hearing from hobbyists and the great success you experience when feeding PE MYSIS.

The question you pose is probably the most common request we receive. Starting in the spring of 2010 we are going to be releasing a new sku which will be specifically small PE MYSIS and differentiate with a different colour package… maybe baby blue, or pink, etc. J

Right now we pack them in the same package as our normal mysis so it is difficult to separate to differentiate the small mysis from the big mysis.

Please keep in touch and hopefully by the spring we will make available the small PE MYSIS.

The Codfather
12-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Good news to hear, often asked the question my self.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Really looking forward to this development as the PE Mysis is almost 70% protein as opposed to the Hikari mysis's 10.5% protein content.

If I can get the small PE mysis, I'm switching over. Use both right now, but will probably drop the Hikari in the spring if things work out.

Thanks for finding out for us.

Anthony

blueworm
12-08-2009, 02:07 AM
Where is a good place to buy this?

corpusse
12-08-2009, 02:09 AM
I like the fact they are huge.

One thing I wish they offered was live mysis.

Skimmerking
12-08-2009, 03:46 AM
are u getting them Chin and where are you getting them from , My Acans would go retarded for these.

Ryan
12-08-2009, 12:45 PM
We have cubes already here in Lethbridge but smaller izes would be awesome. Those bigger mysis are hard to use unless they are in a turkey baster.

Anyone have any idea what the Hikari Jumbo Mysis have in them?

Myka
12-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey this is great!!

naesco
12-08-2009, 03:23 PM
oops

Myka
12-08-2009, 03:41 PM
oops

Ya! LOL. China ain't exporting PE Mysis! :p

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Hikari are sw mysis while PE mysis comes from the Okanagan. (BC)

corpusse
12-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Hikari are sw mysis while PE mysis comes from the Okanagan. (BC)

Any idea where the lake actually is? Does PE own it? One day I'd love to go down and collect my own. Live food has it's advantages for finicky eaters.

Chin_Lee
12-08-2009, 09:21 PM
are u getting them Chin and where are you getting them from , My Acans would go retarded for these.
I think they will be available at local retailers. We just need to voice our desire to get them to our LFS who will then order them in the spring.

I like the fact they are huge. One thing I wish they offered was live mysis.
I like them big for my bigger fishes but many of my smaller fishes cannot eat it. I think this is what everybody else is experiencing.
As far as live mysis is concerned, i think the shipping costs will discourage many folks and not practical when I can buy it frozen. Overnight shipping in Canada will probably cost more than the product itself.

Where is a good place to buy this?
Authorized dealers (LFS) probably.

Delphinus
12-08-2009, 10:51 PM
The story I heard was PE Mysis came out of Lake Okanagan itself. It was introduced in the 60's or something and got out of hand. I believe for this reason it's also not legal to transport them live, for fear of contaminating other water sources in the event of an accident. I could be wrong on the transport part, I can't find any info on that.

I did find this:

Okanagan Lake - British Columbia

Following the "success" of the Mysis relicta introduction in Kootenay, managers decided to do the kokanee salmon in Okanagan a favor. In 1966, they introduced the opossum shrimp. The expected benefit was never realized. Kokanee salmon and native kokanee predators crashed while Mysis relicta reached such high densities that a it became the focus of a commercial fishery. Mysis.com offers packages of frozen Onkanagan Lake opossum shrimp for use as food for aquarium fish. See the Kokanee Salmon Heritage Project web site for more information on Mysis and other causes of decline in the Onkanagan kokanee population. From http://www.cst.cmich.edu/users/mcnau1as/zooplankton%20web/Mysis%5CMysis.html

... so, Okanagan.

corpusse
12-08-2009, 11:51 PM
The story I heard was PE Mysis came out of Lake Okanagan itself. It was introduced in the 60's or something and got out of hand. I believe for this reason it's also not legal to transport them live, for fear of contaminating other water sources in the event of an accident. I could be wrong on the transport part, I can't find any info on that.

I did find this:
From http://www.cst.cmich.edu/users/mcnau1as/zooplankton%20web/Mysis%5CMysis.html

... so, Okanagan.

Interesting. I'd like to know about the transport part.

I buy live mysids (not mysis) from aquaculture places in florida. Shipping is brutal, they don't clear customs quickly so in order to get them alive I have to go to the airport to get them when they don't make the delivery truck.

They are not realistic to culture so buying in bulk is the only option. I don't need them all the time. Just for cuttlefish babies. My cuttle is all grown up but sadly in another 6 months he will be dead of old age at which time or sooner I'd like to establish a breeding colony and the babies will always require live mysids or mysis.

Aquattro
12-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Just to put this in perspective, I was told the smaller sizes would be available about 7 or 8 years ago....until I see them, I won't hold my breath :)

new but handy
12-09-2009, 03:53 AM
I live on Okanogan lk. going fishing in the spring:lol:
The mysis are netted by the millions and flash frozen on the boat. I'm going to do some sweet talking in the summer and see if I can get some live.

Samw
12-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't mind getting a few live ones and seeing if I can raise them in a shrimp tank with cherry and crystal red shrimps. Then I can feed the offsprings to the fish in my reef tank occasionally.