PDA

View Full Version : Salifert Alk test

robbyville
09-13-2003, 01:03 AM
Hi all,

question for you on the Salifert Alk test:

Do you read the chart the moment the water turns a pinkish color or do you wait until it turns a real pink?

Thanks,

Rob

Jack
09-13-2003, 01:26 AM
Once you notice it change colour, it's pretty instant, that's where I stop.. one more drop might do it but I don't think you need it unless you are anal about stuff :razz:

Aquattro
09-13-2003, 02:06 AM
to take a titration to it's end point, you probably need that extra drop. If you mix it for 10 seconds and it starts turning blue again, you didn't go far enough. That being said, the difference in the values for that one drop is minimal.

robbyville
09-13-2003, 02:13 AM
Thanks guys.

My alk is pretty low at the moment so I was looking for any chance to read the test higher!

I only have a few SPS frags and one clam, but my understanding is that my Alk may be dropping as a result of Calcium depletion in the tank. I guess that until I have a reactor I will start to do daily calcium readings to figure out additives. Should this bring my Alk back up naturally as well?

Rob

Aquattro
09-13-2003, 03:08 AM
Rob, you're probably going to be able to use one of the popular 2 part additives, such as Kent's A B set. This will keep both your Ca and alk at optimum (balanced) levels.

EmilyB
09-13-2003, 04:14 AM
First you will have to buffer and turbo ca to get the levels where you want them, then maintain with two part. Or a reactor.. :mrgreen:

robbyville
09-13-2003, 04:41 PM
Thanks,

Yeesh Em, I just got the Nurce from you! Do you have a reactor for sale also?!

I guess it makes sense, I might drive into Vancouver on Monday so I'l pick up what I need (Except for the reactor).

Best,

Rob

Jack
09-13-2003, 06:56 PM
Rob,

You can still use the Nurse for top off water and kalk.

Reactors are best though! :mrgreen:

robbyville
09-14-2003, 12:29 AM
Thanks Jack!

I was more making a funny, thinking that Em was going to foist a reactor on me next!

Best,

Rob