PDA

View Full Version : Tank/Sump Set-Up

MMAX
12-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Just wondering if anyone's tried this or if this would work...setting my main tank in one room and drilling holes through the wall for the piping and sump in a separate storage room. I really can't see any reason why this wouldn't work, just want to make sure BEFORE breaking out the hole saw.

hillegom
12-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Putting a sump in another room/basement is done all the time.
Don't drill into the studs in the wall!

MMAX
12-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks, that's all I wanted to know.

burblecut
12-07-2009, 04:15 AM
I am going to run my sump and everything else from my main floor to the basement.
Does anyone have any good diagrams of what all you need to accomplish this?

simplycoral
12-07-2009, 04:50 AM
Hi,

I drain my display tank via dual 1inch overflows down to the sump in my basement. (The two pipes on the left). I then return the water with an external pump; back up to the display (Pipe on the right). If i were to change anything; i would have gone with a more powerful return pump and increased the sizes of the drains & return pipes.

Regards, Simon.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/simplycoral/IMGP4926.jpg

fishay
12-07-2009, 07:46 AM
@simplycoral: What kind of piping is that you're using?

Bloodasp
12-07-2009, 07:51 AM
looks like the ones they use for your washer drain if im not mistaken

Red Coral Aquariums
12-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Placing a sump in another room besides the area your display is in is becoming very popular with bigger tanks. Ensure you calculate the head loss on your return pump.
Kevin

MMAX
12-07-2009, 06:25 PM
I guess you'd need a fairly high powered model to pump water from your basement to the main floor.

mike31154
12-07-2009, 06:30 PM
All depends on the flow you're looking for through your sump and the total head loss. When selecting a pump for such an application, look for 'pressure' rated pumps. Most pump manufacturers offer these and virtually all will provide charts showing flow compared to head and the resulting curve. The specs will also include the maximum head pressure. Once that limit is reached, the flow is zero.

I'm planning a basement sump set up in the future and have already purchased a lightly used Panworld 150PS pump for the occasion. Good for up to 23 ft of head pressure. I should have approx 11 to 14 feet, depending on how it's eventually plumbed.

simplycoral
12-08-2009, 04:29 AM
@simplycoral: What kind of piping is that you're using?

Its 1" Flexible Pond Hose; from Pisces Pet Emporium. I believe most garden/pond retailers stock it.

It allowed me to run around some awkward spots in my basement ceiling :smile

Regards, Simon.