PDA

View Full Version : Bubble

freerider
12-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Happy Sunday everyone, Ive noticed some bubble algae on a piece of live rock that i have in my tank, its currently in cycle..maybe 2 weeks in actually. should i pull this rock out and get rid of this bubble algae, or just not touch anything till my tank is fully cycled?. Im leaving the lights off for the cycle, will no light eventually kill this stuff off? i realized i don't wanna pop one and get the spores through my tank.
any help would be great, thanks everyone
Trav

chandigz
12-07-2009, 12:16 AM
I hate this stuff its been a big pain in my butt. I'd pull the rock and remove any sign of bubble algae. Try not to pop them because they will release 'spores'. One bubble can quickly turn into lots under the right conditions. I figured a few bubbles couldn't hurt then it went out of control. It started choking out my zoas, plugging up my powerheads and overflow and encroaching on corals. I recently pulled over 4 liters of it from 50 lbs of live rock. I have been 'cooking' my rock in complete darkness to remove the rest and it seems to be working but a piece thats in my unlit tank seems to be holding its own and even growing a bit.

Eb0la11
12-07-2009, 01:47 AM
Are there some people who dont mind this type of algae growth? I see it in LFS every so often. Its not the most sightly but its not completely horrible either?