PDA

View Full Version : making a smooth transition to a new tank

Reef_surfer
12-05-2009, 03:24 PM
I am about to move my live stock into a new tank and I was wondering whats the best place to start. I dont want to stress out the fish or corals to much and I'm only going across the room. Now do you have to let the new tank cycle?
can you use the water in the old tank? do you have to let the livestock acclimate in the new tank

any advice is very helpful and hopfully the move goes smoothly

pelle31
12-05-2009, 03:52 PM
When I made my move I had my 90 already filled and running. I had moved my sump contents(rubble rock,sand and cheato) first and had it running for a few days. I shut all the pumps off and drained some water from the 90. Made sure the 90 was the same temp as the 30.

I then started the move,drained water from my 30 and did the liverock first. Filled another bucket and caught fish and placed them in and moved them outta the way. I placed the rock which took forever as I couldn't stack it the way I liked :)
Then added fish and corals. I used about 3/4 of the water from my 30 and refilled the 90 with it. I had some new water ready to go and filled the rest of the tank with that.
I never really had any issues. Except "The Boss"(wife) givin me hell for the water mess I made.

Also kinda helps if you have seperate containers for fish and corals. After all was settled
and the fish started coming out I did some water tests and everything was inline!! Didn't lose any fish or corals and in no time everything was liking the new home. Sorry for the book and hey have fun!!!

loveless
12-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Careful with disturbing your sandbed in the old tank. Heard some horror stories with people doing transfers and their new tank going into a cycle with mass die off's after transfering the sand over. Especially if its a deep sand bed. On that note also heard of success. If you are going to use the old sand try to clean it first maybe.

pelle31
12-05-2009, 04:24 PM
+1,forgot that little tidbit. I didn't move all my sand as I had a wack of it in the 90 already.
I did however scoop some out and put some in the sump and a little hill in the DT.

Reef_surfer
12-05-2009, 10:28 PM
+1,forgot that little tidbit. I didn't move all my sand as I had a wack of it in the 90 already.
I did however scoop some out and put some in the sump and a little hill in the DT.
im wanting to sift threw some sand to get the fine stuff to put into my DT and the coral rubble i want to put into the sump.

Careful with disturbing your sandbed in the old tank. Heard some horror stories with people doing transfers and their new tank going into a cycle with mass die off's after transfering the sand over. Especially if its a deep sand bed. On that note also heard of success. If you are going to use the old sand try to clean it first maybe.

ok so what if my sand was only two months old and i have a yellow watchman goby that does some sand sifting so i figured that he stirrs it up all the time. can i transfer my sand over and not the water if its bad ??