PDA

View Full Version : GFCI For dummies!

Toooloud
09-11-2003, 10:14 PM
alright guys!

i think we all know now how important it is to have a GFCI plug for our tanks, To prevent electrical shock or fire from leak!

So i have posted this.

This is something i run on my tanks as well as have made and sold many to other hobbiest in the area! and willing to do more if needed .. Its very simple to do but if you still feel that you dont think you could do it, just let me know and will arrange to build one for you for the cost of $25 thats the cost of the parts that i use..

So for everyone Else this is a simple easy way to install this with out the fear or hurting yourself or the current wiring in the house,

Basically its going out and buying a GFCI Outlet, the switch box and a Heavy duty tool replacement cord.

this is what the finished product will look like, you can plug it into the current outlet in your house and install it into the stand of the tank and it will look finished and profession!

http://aquariumpros.ca/photopost/data/500/246GFCI1.jpg

http://aquariumpros.ca/photopost/data/500/246GFCI2.jpg
http://aquariumpros.ca/photopost/data/500/246GFCI3-med.jpg

Now these can be made with either White or Black outlets !

Hope this helps, and if anyone has questions please just pop me a line.

mlambert@rogers.com

Thanks
mike

StirCrazy
09-12-2003, 05:20 AM
Mike, might I make a suggestion, it would be much safewr using a plastic housing instead of the metal and only add 2.00 to the overall cost. I made mide using a double plastic box and two GFI's in it. the other end is hard wired to a 15 amp breaker in my fuse box.

Steve

Toooloud
09-12-2003, 06:40 AM
Stircrazy,

i would too, Just could not find any! :)

Of course anything with a reef we want to keep away from metal as much as possible :)

myself im running a 100AMp fuse im my box, then have a seperate fuse box for my ( soon to be fish room ) where im going to be running 6x15 amp fuses and a 10amp fuse.. Do you think this will work? the fish room is going to feed power to ..

my 150, 90 , 30 and 33 Gallon tanks! plus all the goodies!

titus
09-12-2003, 06:41 AM
Hello,

I'm sorry but I must strongly dis-agree with this method, with the following reasons:
1) The box you made, whether plastic or metal, is difficult to seal and any water that gets into it (a big leak) allows electricity to get into to sap anyone just so happened to be standing on the wet carpet (a very likely scenario for anyone attempting to contain the flood). Now most likely the flood would have shorted out the circuit and caused the breaker to trip but then again, 2) below does the same job and is much safer.
2) It is much safer to install the actual GFCI unit on the wall, and then run an extention cable to the stand.

Titus

StirCrazy
09-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Titus, the box doesent go in the tank :mrgreen: mine is actualy screwed to the roof of my living room so if water can get in there something isn't right. I don't think this was ment to sit on the floor, I hope not anyways, but it would be just as safe bolted to the inside of a stand as a power bar which is commenly used.

In reality there is no way to seal any power outlet as no mater how much silicone you use you still have to leave them three funny shapped hole open :wink:

Steve

titus
09-12-2003, 04:40 PM
Hello,

Ah I see. I was under the impression that the device is going to be used on the floor.

Titus

Toooloud
09-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Oh ofcourse not,

NEVER leave anything, Plugs, extention cords anything like that on the floors around aquariums..

This is just a easy and safer way for people to hook up a GFIC to a tank that is either Temperarey or for someone who just cant afford someone to come wire it and afraid to do it themself!