PDA

View Full Version : powder brown laying on sand bed

blueyota
12-04-2009, 05:57 PM
I know its a long shot but its really sad for me as this will be the first fish to die in my care in almost 2 yrs of salt water ......but is there any one who has had a fish sick with ich i believe laying on the bottom come around ..I really love this fish and have only had him three days im just hoping he pulls through ....so far i have the lights out and a sheet on the front of the tank but i dont want to stress him out any more by QT him ..... Thanks

Shawn

dsaundry
12-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Not a good sign, lost a Powder brown that way too. Never say never, but so long as your water is in the right specifications and temp is ok, you've done all you can do.:sad:

JDigital
12-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Sorry to hear that Shawn. :sad:

On a lighter note, How are those frags doing for ya?

blueyota
12-04-2009, 07:06 PM
thanks im still rooting for him .....Josh thanks again those frags are doin great love the colors...

naesco
12-04-2009, 07:25 PM
If he has ich and he is lying on the bottom you only have one choice.
Set up a QT using the display tank water immediately.
Put her in the QT and place an airstone near her.
Use formalin and be very careful to follow the directions.

If formalin is not available use malachite green. If not available you have to do a fresh water dip (same temperature and PH)

The reason she is on the bottom is that she cannot breath owing to the fact that ich has restricted her gills. Extra oxygen via the airstone helps a little but the ich must be killed by the formalin.

Good Luck

bvlester
12-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Prazi pro may kill the Ick instructions say it will anyways. yup same as naesco. fresh dip should rid her of the imature parisites.

Good luck,
Bill

Spiny
12-04-2009, 10:22 PM
if I had a fish laying on the sand with itch, I'd give him a FW dip asap to give him a hand fighting the parasite

blueyota
12-04-2009, 10:58 PM
I am just worried about stressing her out more ...this morning i thought about a fresh water dip but then if i were in her place i would just rather go in peace rather then being netted then being in an empty tank alone ...just the way i see it ...Thanks for the advice ...but im just gona see how it goes ...when i woke up i thought she was a goner... then she was in the corner on her belly and i just checked a min ago and shes not were shes been for the last 8 hrs tank is still covered with a sheet except one side so i cant check around to good but keepin my fingers crossed .....Thanks
Shawn

naesco
12-04-2009, 11:06 PM
I am just worried about stressing her out more ...this morning i thought about a fresh water dip but then if i were in her place i would just rather go in peace rather then being netted then being in an empty tank alone ...just the way i see it ...Thanks for the advice ...but im just gona see how it goes ...when i woke up i thought she was a goner... then she was in the corner on her belly and i just checked a min ago and shes not were shes been for the last 8 hrs tank is still covered with a sheet except one side so i cant check around to good but keepin my fingers crossed .....Thanks
Shawn

The QT will not stress the fish as it is the same water.
Use a large bowl and not a net and gently place her in it for the transfer. It will be relatively stress free.
Unless you do something to remove the ich from the gills the fish will suffocate to death.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-05-2009, 02:47 AM
Shawn

If this is the case, then I would suggest you consider getting some clove oil and put her down. She isn't going in peace right now.

The advice given here is good but I understand if your not up to QTing her. The clove oil does not take long and she won't feel anything. Otherwise the fish is just suffering slowly.

PoonTang
12-05-2009, 03:17 AM
Just a question here for future reference incase I ever have the same problem. Do you use RODI for the FW dip? and how do you adjust the pH? Thankfully I have never experienced Ich. Sorry for the hyjack.