PDA

View Full Version : freshwater to saltwater

the marine apprentice
12-04-2009, 08:43 AM
is it possible to turn a fresh water fish into a salt water fish?? my girlfriend and i have been talking about this and if it is possible. if so then which freshfish can go salt and why?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-04-2009, 10:54 AM
There are certain brackish water fish that are usually kept in fw that can be converted to sw. I've done so with various mollies, including balloon mollies. Livebearers, in general, are possible candidates for this type of transition, but it is probably very hard on the fish since their bodies must adapt (big adjustment) from holding onto salt ions in fw to pumping out salt ions in saltwater. That is one of the reasons why doing a fast transition from fw to sw will usually kill the fish.

I did it originally to use mollies for cycling my sw tanks, since I had mollies already (first in fw, then brackish, and eventually full strength sw).

Time to go to bed now.

Anthony

parkinsn
12-04-2009, 05:58 PM
There was this controversial thread a while ago :lol:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50243&highlight=saltwater+jewels

the marine apprentice
12-08-2009, 09:48 AM
after alot of thought and consistant questions from the girlfriend ive decided not to even think of doing this, they were put in fresh water for a reason and dont deserve to be put in salt water. its just not humain to do this.