PDA

View Full Version : AquaC Remora vs Lee's Counter Current Skimmer

Samw
09-11-2003, 07:39 AM
So I cleaned my AquaC Remora last week, cleaned the powerhead, cleaned the injector screw and put it back into action. I also set up the Lee's Counter Current airstone driven skimmer powered by a Hagen Optima. The Optima pump is set to its lowest setting.

As the pics show, the cheap $40 skimmer + $30 pump is outperforming the $270 skimmer. :lol: I'm impressed with the $40 skimmer.

Well, to be fair, my Maxijet 1200 is 1.5 years old and may need a new impeller (which none of the 4 stores that I visit have in stock. Premium Aquatics didn't have one in stock either.)

I have a Coralife Co-Current 6" Super Skimmer I on order. Can't wait to check it out on the back of my Aquaclear 200.

Here, not much coming out and not much in the cup:

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/Equipment/Skimmer/148-4806_img_std.jpg

Here, I'm emptying the cup every 2-3 days.

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/Equipment/Skimmer/148-4807_img_std.jpg

EmilyB
09-11-2003, 08:01 AM
:biggrin:

I have always used those. When you tweak them, they are awesome. They are great to cure rock etc. only problem with using them in a main tank is they have to go inside and be visible.

Jack
09-11-2003, 02:37 PM
What if you added an wooden airstone to the remora? Simple boost.

Canadian Man
09-11-2003, 03:03 PM
There is definatley 2 diffrences though in the skimmate production.

The remora looks very chunky and dry. I'm not too framiliar with that skimmer but if you could raise the water height or increase the input or increase the air, I think one of these variables would make that skimmer start puking out brown stuff.
The Lee's skimmer ( I like these myself and own one :redface: ) is very watery when it comes to there skimmate and mine has alway's has this watery skimmate as well.

Just my useless observations :lol:

Samw
09-12-2003, 12:22 AM
The remora looks very chunky and dry. I'm not too framiliar with that skimmer but if you could raise the water height or increase the input or increase the air, I think one of these variables would make that skimmer start puking out brown stuff.
The Lee's skimmer ( I like these myself and own one :redface: ) is very watery when it comes to there skimmate and mine has alway's has this watery skimmate as well.

Actually, there are no adjustments in the Remora other than moving the collection cup up and down. There's an injector screw but not sure how much of a difference that makes.

The Lee's skimmer can be raised in order to make the foam more dry. As for needing to tweak it, I was hoping that I could just Set It and Forget It.

EmilyB
09-12-2003, 12:59 AM
I added the CPR Bakpak 2r to my list of set it and forget it skimmers. :mrgreen: