PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Galaxy Ballasts?

Veng68
12-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Anyone using Sunlight Supply Galaxy Electronic Metal Halide Ballasts?

Just wondering what your impressions of the product are.

Cheers,
Vic

kien
12-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I am using 3 of the 250watt ones. So far not a single problem with them. I use them to run the Maristar light fixture. They are quiet (no fan). I suppose all electronic ballasts are like that though.

Previously I tried their combo ballast, the one ballast that runs two 250 watts in one package but never had success with it. Two of them failed on me within a few days of usage so I resorted back to using just the single 250 ballasts. Probably just bad luck on my part as I know a couple of people running (or ran) the duals just fine.

xtreme
12-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I just had one crap out on me. The date code on it is Dec 07 so its not that old. Now I need a new ballast but I'm hesitant to go with another Galaxy.

kien
12-03-2009, 07:08 PM
I just had one crap out on me. The date code on it is Dec 07 so its not that old. Now I need a new ballast but I'm hesitant to go with another Galaxy.

d'oh! That sucks! Mine are only a few months old.. hehe, now I'm sitting here waiting for mine to fail.. Murphy's Law, as soon as I start saying anything great about them they will crap out.

xtreme
12-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Ya it does suck. And its not even possible to try to service/repair them since the internals are cased in some sort of rubber epoxy so you can't troubleshoot to find the failed component.

Delphinus
12-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Ohhhh I hate that. I had the same thing with another electronic ballast (different brand). Totally unrepairable due to it being completely encased in epoxy. :(

kien
12-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Ya it does suck. And its not even possible to try to service/repair them since the internals are cased in some sort of rubber epoxy so you can't troubleshoot to find the failed component.

hehe, ya, i found that a little annoying too when my dual died. Would have been nice to try and trouble shoot it but at least it was still under warranty. I don't know for certain but I'd imagine they are all like that? I'm sure those companies don't really want you monkeying about in there.. Anyway, hope you find a replacement soon. My supplier was really good at getting me a spare/loaner while I waited for a replacement to arrive.

Delphinus
12-03-2009, 07:27 PM
I guess Icecap's aren't like that? Or at least at one time they weren't. You had to send them into the manufacturer but they would troubleshoot and repair, as opposed to outright replace, then send them back. Don't know about other brands or even if Icecap is still like that, however..