PDA

View Full Version : Mental Note: Vortechs

JDigital
12-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Decided to take a couple minutes and try out a few things with my camera today, I decided to unplug my vortech for these pics.

After I had finished snapping some pics, I went to plug my Vortech back in, and as I plugged the cable back into the controller I took a glimpse at the wet side of the vortech and saw some movement and realized that my 6 Line Wrasse had decided to take a peak INSIDE the pump... I got the plug pulled ASAP but I was about 1sec too late and watched as the pump powered up for a brief second. Not enough to kill or mangle him, but it sure "scrambled his eggs"...

He swam out once it stopped and shot in behind the rocks. Poor guy... stupid thing is that would have been my opportunity to catch him as I have been considering getting him out.

Mental Note: Check your wet sides before powering up! :lol:

Carmen
12-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Ugh...poor little guy! Hope he's okay!:neutral:

parkinsn
12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
I did the same thing with my bi-color blenny :lol: but I never shut it off.... He made it out unharmed though.

Delphinus
12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah you really have to be careful with the propeller pumps. I've heard several horror stories of curious fish getting decapitated and whatnot when powering back up. :( Blennies in particular and anyone who likes caves: dottybacks, wrasses, etc. ..

workn2hard2day
12-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Glad he is ok. That solves my question of having the "sponge shield" on or off.

parkinsn
12-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Glad he is ok. That solves my question of having the "sponge shield" on or off.

They would have gone in the front not the side. I found the sponge was more of a pain and just cloggs up.

JDigital
12-03-2009, 06:42 PM
I haven't seen him since he darted into my rock work either, so can't see if he got injured at all...

Was my own fault... I've been around fishytimes place before and seen his dottyback hop inside the pump and said "man, that would suck if you turned the pump back on without realizing a fish had swam inside"........ :redface:

kien
12-03-2009, 06:57 PM
ya.. this isn't just a problem with the Vortechs.. Any fish small enough to swim into my tunze (6105s) can and will whenever i turn the pumps off for feeding time. First time I noticed it my strawberry/purple pseudochromas was in there and it took a chunk of his tail off as he darted out :( Now I make sure I scare anyone out with a kabob skewer.

Leah
12-03-2009, 08:08 PM
It is something I have always thought about when plugging them back in,
that has to hurt. :sad:

JDigital
12-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Well, he's back out sorta swimming around... mostly finds a spot and hovers around... however his right gill doesn't look so hot, as there looks to be some sort of white stuff hanging out... he doesn't appear to be breathing any heavier than normal though. I didn't see him eat with the others tonight, so that could be bad sign. :neutral:

Funky_Fish14
12-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Hes probably still 'pooping his pants' for lack of a better expression. I hope he'll be ok!

Chris

JDigital
12-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Hes probably still 'pooping his pants' for lack of a better expression. I hope he'll be ok!

Chris

Thanks,

He is still quite skittish, so I'm attempting to stay clear of the tank tonight. Try and watch from a distance.

fkshiu
12-04-2009, 04:10 AM
ya.. this isn't just a problem with the Vortechs.. Any fish small enough to swim into my tunze (6105s) can and will whenever i turn the pumps off for feeding time. First time I noticed it my strawberry/purple pseudochromas was in there and it took a chunk of his tail off as he darted out :( Now I make sure I scare anyone out with a kabob skewer.

Hmm, I would have thought that the new Tunzes would have the same "safe fish" function (a single crank every 15 secs or so to scare off nosey fish) as the old ones and the nanos while on feeding mode.

lorenz0
12-04-2009, 05:44 AM
^^^
yep my tunzes have that feature. will turn off and than plus now and than on feeding mode

kien
12-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Hmm, I would have thought that the new Tunzes would have the same "safe fish" function (a single crank every 15 secs or so to scare off nosey fish) as the old ones and the nanos while on feeding mode.

Hmm.. that's something I never thought to look into. The feed mode is switched from my Profilux controller as that's what they are both plugged into. So as far as they are concerned, they just turn on and off as the profilux commands. I wonder if there is such a feature in the profilux though! I will have to check, thanks for the tip!

fishoholic
12-04-2009, 03:09 PM
If my koralia's are turned off I find my wrasse's like to curl up inside of them. I put masking tape on the plug as a reminder to check it first before I plugged it back in.

I hope your fish will be ok.

Funky_Fish14
12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Hey any updates? How's the little fella doing?

JDigital
12-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Yea, he is still kickin! His right gill has healed from what I can see, nothing hanging from it anymore, so that's a relief. :)

Funky_Fish14
12-08-2009, 02:32 AM
Good to hear! :)