PDA

View Full Version : T5 Lights

Black Phantom
12-03-2009, 01:45 PM
So I was looking at my new flyer from Princess Auto this morning and I noticed this light. A four foot T5 for $100 bucks. Sure you would have to change the bulbs but can anyone see a reason why this won't work as a light for LPS and softies.
http://www.princessauto.com/vmchk/farm/electrical/yard-lights/8288474-4-ft-industrial-shop-light

Aquattro
12-03-2009, 02:15 PM
It may end up looking like crap due to salt exposure, but other than that, if you can fit bulbs in it, it will light your tank :)

bvlester
12-03-2009, 02:51 PM
they are rated for 7.5K bulbs but they will drive 10K lights no problems. Get retro fit bulb reflectors and you will be on your way. You can get the retrofix balists latter and over drive the bulbs.

Bill

parkinsn
12-03-2009, 03:26 PM
they are rated for 7.5K bulbs but they will drive 10K lights no problems.

Bill

The kelvin temp does not affect anything. As long as they are T5HO ballast's you can run anything from a 3500k to a 20,000k on the same ballast. You wont have a problem using this fixture other that the salt creep mentioned above.

I am currently using this fixture retro fitted in my canopy with 2 KZ actinics, 2 New Gen, and 2 fiji purple.

http://www.metalux-lighting.com/common/brands.cfm?pg=Detail&id=12267

I also went to Quick grow on edmonton Tr the other day and picked up 24" T5HO's for $30/ea they come with a 6500k grow lamp but I threw in a new gen a fiji purple for my 15g.

Stones
12-03-2009, 04:21 PM
So I was looking at my new flyer from Princess Auto this morning and I noticed this light. A four foot T5 for $100 bucks. Sure you would have to change the bulbs but can anyone see a reason why this won't work as a light for LPS and softies.
http://www.princessauto.com/vmchk/farm/electrical/yard-lights/8288474-4-ft-industrial-shop-light

I noticed they never listed the wattage of the fixture so I'm assuming this is only a normal output fixture and not a high output fixture. That would really limit your bulb selection to only coralife as I think they are the only manufacturer who produces Normal Output bulbs and fixtures. If this is the case, that would also diminish the output of the fixture significantly as 48" normal output bulbs are 28 watts as opposed to the 54 watt High output bulbs.

Black Phantom
12-03-2009, 05:40 PM
I noticed they never listed the wattage of the fixture so I'm assuming this is only a normal output fixture and not a high output fixture. That would really limit your bulb selection to only coralife as I think they are the only manufacturer who produces Normal Output bulbs and fixtures. If this is the case, that would also diminish the output of the fixture significantly as 48" normal output bulbs are 28 watts as opposed to the 54 watt High output bulbs.

Hmmmm, guess I'll have to go check that out. I'm not too worried about salt creep as it's not going to be that close to the tank. Probably about a foot away.

Ross
12-03-2009, 07:16 PM

When I got the flyer I thought the exact same thing.

I would have grabbed one by now, except that I only have a 3' tank for now (ssshhh dont tell the wife)

H2o2
12-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Well i went and looked and they are 4 28w bulbs in it but if it is a work horse ballast you could could rewire and burn 2 54w bulbs and buy 1 more ballast.As far as the fixture goes its aluminum and its fine but i dont know about in your front room but you could make it nice with some paint..IMO

Myka
12-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Double check the wattage to make sure they are T5HO. A 48" T5HO bulb will be 54w. If it's not HO then good bulbs are difficult to find...well they don't really exist.

Black Phantom
12-04-2009, 03:46 AM
Well I went and looked at them. Wrong ballast for what I want. I guess if a guy wants to start swapping then the fixture would work.
I got a PM from another reefer saying that a good deal can be had at Eecol electric. Seems they have the same type of fixture at half the price.
Might be worth checking that as well.:biggrin:

kien
12-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Recently I priced out putting a T5 light together with all the pieces.. 8 Reflectors, end caps, ballasts, clips, etc.. and it all came out to around $400! That was with a free fixture that someone was going to give me. You can get a whole Tek T5 HO unit (8 bulb) for $439 (or at least I can), from a LFS..