PDA

View Full Version : can any one in kamloops cut glass for my tank?

sir_aaron
12-03-2009, 06:17 AM
can any one in kamloops cut glass for my tank?
case i like to getting in to saltwater as i have a 30 gallon and a 20 gallon that i am thinking of using. tho i need my 30gal to be fixed and the 20 gallon will be my sump and i got a power head 402 (used)

thanks
Aaron

P.S. thanks Bill & Victoria to show me your saltwater tanks i like them!!

bvlester
12-03-2009, 02:47 PM
any glass store can cut the glass for you.

sir_aaron
12-03-2009, 09:07 PM
thanks bill

bvlester
12-04-2009, 07:09 AM
I cut my own but does not work all the time and I don't want to cost you any extra money I can help silicone it together. You need to take the panes apart, that can be hard. Be very careful you could break the good glass doing it, take your time and do little cuts in the silicone to get the stuff off the inside. Take the black trim off the top and bottem then using a guttar string the finest one you can find you will use it like a saw going from top to bottom cut the silicone between the good glass and the broken glass.Then do the other side the same way for the bottom you may get lucky as alot of them have more space between the panes of glass if ther is lots of space you can use the long exacto knife just be very carful as tey are sharp. I have one you can use for this if you don't have one. I can show you how to get the plastic off with out breaking it if it is an older tank a new tank takes more work. As my wife said go to restore they have glass there that is thick enough for the tank you are fixing. take it to a glass shop i would go to centry glass they may or may not charge you. It all depends on when you want it back and how giving they feel. If you can leave it there for a while and tell them what you are doing with it and that they can do it in there spare time, you never know what will happen. I will do what I can to help you but I have my own projects to do too. I also have a hip that is killing me and things are moving slowly around here. I have to cut glass for the 3 foot overflow I am going to build and cut 3 drain holes in the back glass panel. don't forget fixing the 30g sump I showed you that will take time to get the two panels of glass out. I am thinking I will have to use a torch to heat the silicone up so I can seporate the two panes of glass, someone elses fixer uper job. I will get it fixed good as new. I wish I had a 40g I could give to you the bigger the better.

Hay also post on the other forums you go onto, there maybe someine that has a tank you can have or get cheep insted of fixing this one you can still take it apart and keep the glass for the sump so you can buil baffles for it.

Bill

sir_aaron
12-11-2009, 12:49 AM
thanks bill
here are the pic's of my tanks that i wahnt to be a sw tho i got 2 more

pic1
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_p-1tgi78da0/SxiSx9GMlkI/AAAAAAAABUk/3GSZg2YLMpw/s800/1203091319a.jpg

pic2
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_p-1tgi78da0/SxiSyIo9WcI/AAAAAAAABUo/mdsicPi_hZU/s800/1203091319b.jpg

pic3
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_p-1tgi78da0/SxiSyNVb2vI/AAAAAAAABUs/flP-FsyJPhc/s800/1203091319c.jpg

bvlester
12-11-2009, 05:28 AM
As I said you will have to fix it (replace glass plates) or get a different tank all together.

Bill

StirCrazy
12-11-2009, 01:53 PM
replacing one pannel is pretty strait forward. it is especialy good if it is a back pannel as you can drill it while your at it if you are looking to do a sump system. Like Bill mentione a thin gutar string wraped around two wooden dowels for handles.. then just a sawing motion will make quick work of it. remove all the excess silicone you can first though.

what I would do is if you can get it out with out breaking it anymore then just take it to a glass shop and ask them to make one the exact same size and add any holes you want. this way you don't pay for broken pieces. if you take your own glass in and it breakes to bad so sad you need to buy more.

Steve

mark
12-11-2009, 02:02 PM
sometimes you can find a used tank for the cost of the glass to repair the old one.

sir_aaron
12-11-2009, 05:08 PM
thanks for all your help
i am thinking of just gtting a new tank

bvlester
12-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Hi My wife was in St. vinsent du pauls thrift shop saw a 30g tank she thinks. go check it out.

Bill

sir_aaron
12-16-2009, 05:59 AM
i will do that