PDA

View Full Version : 90 Gallon leaking..

Navigator
12-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Well. The saga of my 90 gallon set up continues. I finally (!) got the stand fixed as the base on it was a bit warped and heavily shimmed to level, so I replaced it - the base was level and the tank was level and the world was a great place until I got all the water in the tank. It leaks. It doesn’t leak when it’s half full, like it has been for about a month, holding my 60 lbs of live rock (half dry, half premium) but as soon as I filled it to the top, the next day I had salt creep up the front right corner that was about 8 inches wide and 4 inches high.

Is it worth trying to re-seal a tank of this size or will the pressure of the salt water just blow it out again? Anything I've seen on DIY indicates you can really only re-seal smaller tanks but I'm not sure if that is true. If I do get it resealed, can I DIY, or should it be taken to a professional – or should I just wait for Big Al’s Boxing Day Sale, or a fellow CanReefer sale? I’m just a smidgen frustrated. :sad:

Black Phantom
12-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Which part of the tank had the leak. I'm assuming the top as you said it didn't leak until full.
The only way in my book to properly fix a leak is to drain the tank, let it fully dry, remove most of the old silicone and reseal the joints.
How old is the tank? If it's more then five years old I might look to a Christmas sale or another reefer with a good tank.

xtreme
12-02-2009, 11:19 PM
If you decide to get a new one they are on special for $150 at an LFS in Calgary. I think thats a pretty good price since I've seen people ask more than that for a used one.

Binare
12-03-2009, 03:13 AM
Can't say "Golds" on here? That deal for tank and top has been goin forever, I drive by the sign everyday... Been atleast a year or so. Wonder if he remembers its up.

bvlester
12-03-2009, 05:58 AM
All you have to do is go in pick out the tank and if he wants to charge more then point out that it is a instore advertised produce. Under the comsumer protection act he has to give it to you for the posted price, for that matter if there is a lower price anywhere visable for that product he would have to honer that price. I would also let him know that you took a pic with your cell camera to if he wants to argue the facts..

Navigator
12-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Thank you for all the advice - because the salt water creep comes up from the bottom, I was really freaked out cause it must be the pressure forcing it through the bottom seams. Another Can-reefer in RD actually is swapping me tanks as they have a good 90 gallon that is holding a reptile at the moment. I must say - I really like this place! :)