PDA

View Full Version : Best Skimmate ?

Buccaneer
09-09-2003, 10:59 PM
Now I have always thought that a dry skimmate nice and green was the best to have but apparently there is some differing opinions in that a wet skimmate is more preferable because it pulls out more undesirable stuff.

I have a modified Beckett skimmer with a dry foam ... it drains right into the floor drain so not sure how much it pulls out but with a fairly light bioload it still is a nasty green in the foaming part of the chamber.

Any thoughts on this everyone ?

Cheers

Toooloud
09-09-2003, 11:11 PM
i have allways gone witha nice thick dry foam.. between the heat from the lights and the summer! i could not afford to have anymore water removed from the tank!

Aquattro
09-09-2003, 11:32 PM
I go a bit watery, this tends to not muck up the inside of the skimmer as quickly.

Canadian Man
09-09-2003, 11:52 PM
I go a bit watery, this tends to not muck up the inside of the skimmer as quickly.

Same for me.

Quinn
09-10-2003, 03:33 AM
While we're on the subject, my skimmate is black as coffee when it's in the pop bottle I collect it in. But when I dump it down the toilet, you can see that's it's still very much liquid, translucent, etc. Is this a good thing or should I be trying to get it to be thicker. I do get a lot of green/black sludge on the inside of the collection cup and the riser tube.

Canadian Man
09-10-2003, 03:50 AM
While we're on the subject, my skimmate is black as coffee when it's in the pop bottle I collect it in. But when I dump it down the toilet, you can see that's it's still very much liquid, translucent, etc. Is this a good thing or should I be trying to get it to be thicker. I do get a lot of green/black sludge on the inside of the collection cup and the riser tube.

My skimmer does the exact same thing Quinn,
When I dump it out and it's liquid I consider this quite thick still.
If I set my skimmer to be watery it looks more like light colored tea.

stephane
09-11-2003, 05:24 AM
ginger ale for me :biggrin: