PDA

View Full Version : In Wall Tank Height?

dbdavid
11-30-2009, 06:25 PM
I am planning my 225Gal 72X30X24 in wall project in my basement and need some input on the tank height. I will have a 7 foot finished ceiling (which sucks!) so I was thinking 35-36 inches up from the floor. What has everyone else done?

Thanks

Dave

untamed
11-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Mine is around 40". This was chosen because it was official "bar height" which made it easy to find appropriate height bar stools. 40" also works well for a larger tank that is more commonly viewed standing up.

I figure that it is much like viewing a television. Determine what height your eyes will be at most of the time and run the horizontal centre of the tank at that height. This avoids having to look up or down to see into the tank....also minimizes distortion that you get when looking through thick glass (or plexi) at an angle.

If you are a taller or shorter than most, align to your height. It is your tank, afterall.

Easier said than done when you have only 7' of ceiling to work with, I realize.

Dez
11-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Hello,

I basically went up on my tippy toes, measured from the floor to my armpit, then I took this measurement minus the height of the tank and that was the height I settled with. This allowed me to be able to access my tank without a stool or chair, and it ended up being a very comfortable height for viewing either sitting or standing.

christyf5
11-30-2009, 07:49 PM
I went with 42" so I could either stand and look at the tank, sit on a barstool and look at the tank or back a couch up to it and lean on the back of the couch to see it :biggrin:

dbdavid
11-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Great, thanks everyone looks like 40" it is. I like the bar stool idea!

Dave

staceyd72
11-30-2009, 08:44 PM
HI Dave,

I'm in a similar situation, my tank is in the basement and the ceiling above the tank was dropped downed to 7' also. My tank is 38" off the floor, tank height is 28 inches with an opening for access of 10" and an 8" gap to the ceiling.
Like others have said, 40 inches is good, plus is depends on your height also.
My bar stools are adjustable so everyone is pleased:biggrin:

Are you having an opening from the front to access the tank? From the hobbyists that I know who have in-wall's without an access door they really regret it, especially on deep(F-B) tanks.

Is there a build thread yet?

dbdavid
11-30-2009, 09:04 PM
HI Dave,

I'm in a similar situation, my tank is in the basement and the ceiling above the tank was dropped downed to 7' also. My tank is 38" off the floor, tank height is 28 inches with an opening for access of 10" and an 8" gap to the ceiling.
Like others have said, 40 inches is good, plus is depends on your height also.
My bar stools are adjustable so everyone is pleased:biggrin:

Are you having an opening from the front to access the tank? From the hobbyists that I know who have in-wall's without an access door they really regret it, especially on deep(F-B) tanks.

Is there a build thread yet?

No build thread yet.

I have some engineering to do as there is a telepost right smack in the middle of where the tank is going. I will be talking to a structural engineer this week to see what my options are.

Dave

dbdavid
11-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey staceyd72,

Do you have a picture of your tank so I can get an idea of how it looks with the 7' ceiling?

Thanks

Dave

Delphinus
11-30-2009, 09:28 PM
I went with 40" height because for the same reasons: will be a bar seating area, looks good sitting or standing, and I wanted the extra height under the tank. I originally wanted to use a UFA water tub for a sump, and although I'm not, I'm still glad I went with the height because it gives me *just* enough clearance to run a zeovit plunger reactor in the sump under the stand.

My ceilings are about 7.5' unfinished, so will likely be closer to 7' when finished and yes it does SUCK. I doubt I'll ever build again (house builders are the sux0r!!) but if I did, I'll ask for 9' or 10' ceilings down there. It's not the overall height it's the things like furnace vents that come down. It's been a real challenge trying to get a light frame into the space with appropriate height over the tank.

Skimmerking
11-30-2009, 10:01 PM
With mine i have it at sitting height, for my chair and i love it. You are forced to look at it then and not stand there.:biggrin:

staceyd72
12-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Hi Dave,

I'll try to get a pic when I get home tonight, I guess the telepost is load bearing right? So it would be a good idea like you said to get a structural engineer in to give you some options.

My ceilings are about 7.5' unfinished, so will likely be closer to 7' when finished and yes it does SUCK. I doubt I'll ever build again (house builders are the sux0r!!) but if I did, I'll ask for 9' or 10' ceilings down there. It's not the overall height it's the things like furnace vents that come down. It's been a real challenge trying to get a light frame into the space with appropriate height over the tank.

I have the furnace venting unit in front of my tank and it drops the ceiling down to 7'. And above my tank(in fish room) I have another one, which is a cold air return from one room upstairs. This limited me in my light selection, from the bottom of the cold air return to the top of the tank it's 16 inches; little room for light rack and MH- thus T5's.

Ten foot ceilings would be great.

With mine i have it at sitting height, for my chair and i love it. You are forced to look at it then and not stand there.:biggrin:

My friend did the same to his, it feels a little more 'cozy' when you are sitting on the couch in front of the tank. He built a small ledge in front, for resting and sitting on when viewing and photographing the fish and corals, and also for standing on when doing maintenance.