PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Golden Moray

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Not for me but my friend is thinking of getting one. He has a few small fish though, how likely will they eat small gobies?

Anything they can fit in their mouth become a meal like most eels?

What about shrimp and other inverts?

manaf
11-30-2009, 02:02 AM
yea i was intrested in one too buy they pretty much eat anything they can fit in their mouths like you know, shrimps as well, you can try a really small one tho but its still a risk:mrgreen:

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-30-2009, 02:09 AM
yea i was intrested in one too buy they pretty much eat anything they can fit in their mouths like you know, shrimps as well, you can try a really small one tho but its still a risk:mrgreen:

Well its really not for me. I have a tank of small bottom dwelling fish!

A friend of mine (not on the board) wants one but she wasn't sure if it would eat her small fish. I seem to be the tank maintenance guy for her tank (set it up, pretty much stocked it for her and help with any problems) so I thought I would ask before she made a big mistake. I've kept larger eels but never the small ones.

karazy
11-30-2009, 02:16 AM
they can definitely eat things like trimma gobies and tiny things like that, but i have heard of them eating things as large as fire fish.
mostly a well fed eel is a happy eel.

Red Coral Aquariums
11-30-2009, 02:51 AM
We have one in the shop that eats silversides the size of your little finger so you can kind of use that as a gauge to what size of fish you can put with one.
Kevin

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-30-2009, 03:52 AM
Ok thanks guys.

I will tell her not to get it.

Delphinus
11-30-2009, 04:04 AM
Anything that fits in their mouth is fair game. I have one that is 8" (on the small side even for this species) and have a smallish orchid dottyback in with him, who wouldn't be able to fit in his mouth. I got totally lucky in that (at least so far), this eel has ZERO interest in eating fish (when I offer silversides or even just pieces of silversides, he comes up, sniffs it, and then swims away. Whereas mysis, krill, squid, and shellfish, are gone instantly.) So there is definitely some individuality with these guys, which is the same as to say "might be OK, might not be OK, only way to tell what you'll get is to try." Sorry for the wishywashiness, but it just seems to be that way. What works for one person won't for another. Thus realistically the most diligent option is err on the side of caution. If the tankmates were the really tiny "nano" type gobies, I personally wouldn't chance it.

fishoholic
11-30-2009, 04:25 AM
I have one who eats silversides, krill and mysis but never goes after or shows any interest in eating any of my gobies or blennies, even when they swim right under his head. The small fish I have with my golden dwarf moray are a cleaner wrasse, weedfish, green clown goby, geometric pygmy hawkfish, yellow watchman goby, mandarin and red scooter dragonette, tailspot blenny and a lizard blenny. The lizard blenny is getting pretty fat now, so he's not too small anymore, but still he is about the same size as some of the silversides I have fed my dwarf golden moray, and the lizard blenny loves to swim and hang out right under or right beside my eels home where he pokes his head out of the rock and he has never showed any interest in the blenny at all. I also have a pepermint shrimp and a pistol shrimp.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-30-2009, 04:31 AM
Kind of what I expected in terms of answers.

I have kept larger eels with smaller fish thinking they would be a meal and it just never happened. Kept shrimp with a snowflake eel and he never ate them but most will.

Im still gonna tell her it will for sure eat her shrimp gobies :lol: Don't want to be responsible for them going missing!