PDA

View Full Version : Pump for filling aquarium

Navigator
11-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Okay, I'm really clumsy with buckets, so I have decided in the interest of NOT having another accident with water (especially salt water) I would like a pump that I can use to transfer from my big mixing Rubbermaid to the tank after water changes and probably also for fresh water top ups.

I obviously need a pump that is okay with salt water - and that seems to be hard to find. I tried a sump pump from Princess Auto - Not Good. Too much flow. Since I don't need to really do anything fast, I tried their little drill powered one - complete fail. Help, please? Pumps are one of those things that have always mystified me!

Dez
11-29-2009, 10:30 PM
How about a maxi jet 1200 with clear vinyl tube. Or use a Mag 3, or 5 or 7 depending on your needs. These pumps work well. Pick one up from an aquarium store, this way you are guaranteed that it is okay.

By the way. Welcome to Canreef.

BWI
11-29-2009, 11:33 PM
How about a maxi jet 1200 with clear vinyl tube. Or use a Mag 3, or 5 or 7 depending on your needs. These pumps work well. Pick one up from an aquarium store, this way you are guaranteed that it is okay.

By the way. Welcome to Canreef.

maxi jet is the cheapest option. will do the job for sure!

Funky_Fish14
11-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Maxi-jet with 1/2" vinyl hose from Rona/Home Depot all the way!

That'll be your simplest and cheapest option.

don.ald
11-29-2009, 11:39 PM
how high will the maxi 1200 pump though?

Leah
11-30-2009, 12:12 AM
How do you set this up exactly using a mag ?, pump from a Remora pro filter this sounds amazing? I am another one that has water everywhere, this would be so easy.

Oscar
11-30-2009, 12:15 AM
how high will the maxi 1200 pump though?

At least 4 feet with power to spare. Just did the very same today during my water change.

Dez
11-30-2009, 12:43 AM
How do you set this up exactly using a mag ?, pump from a Remora pro filter this sounds amazing? I am another one that has water everywhere, this would be so easy.

Hi Leah,

Using a Mag, you just have to go to Rona and buy a threaded hose bib fitting to fit onto a Mag pump, then get clear vinyl hose at whatever length, and voila, you have a pump that will pump water to wherever you need depending on how long your vinyl hose is. I used a Mag 18 to do this doing a 150 gallon water change with a super long hose. I bought the premixed saltwater from my LFS, they pumped it into a water tank on my truck, I drove home, stuck the Mag 18 in the water tank, and pulled up to my driveway and pumped it all the way into my aquarium in the house. Worked like a charm.

I just helped my friend move his 54 gallon tank, and we did the same thing with a Mag and just fitted it to a garden hose. Made the move so easy. He had a 100 feet of garden hose cause the aquarium was quite far from where we could back the truck up to.

mark
11-30-2009, 01:01 AM
I picked up a cheap little aquarium pump for about 30 bucks from that west end pet supply warehouse, Aquagiant sells similair.

Navigator
11-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Oh my gosh - the water tank on the truck sounds freaking awesome! I work for a chemical company, so I get my RO/DI water free and when I filled this 90 Gallon up, I just brought it home in two poly drums but I had to schlepp it down the stairs with pails using a drum pump. Now I just get 5 gallon pails filled since four fit in my car - might take a few trips but what is a little bit of gas in the scheme of free water?

Thanks for all the suggestions - that's so helpful! :)

Leah
11-30-2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks Dez! :biggrin: Just spent a couple hours doing water changes today, this will be wonderful.