PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a chiller?

Andy
09-09-2003, 03:17 AM
Hi everyone

Just wondering how many of you use a chiller to keep your tank temperature stable.

If so:

1. What size tank do you have?
2. What kind and amount of lighting do you have?
3. What brand of chiller and what hp do you use?
4. Is it an in line or drop in model?

The reason I ask is that I will soon be switching over from 880 watts of VHO/NO to 1480 watts of MH/VHO. My tank temperature currently ranges between 79 and 81 F. My hood is enclosed and contains 2 Ice Cap fans. I am concerned that I might have a temperature issue following the switch. Would you consider using a chiller with this setup or would you look at alternatives.

Thanks,

Andy

Aquattro
09-09-2003, 03:26 AM
Andy, I think you may find you have heat issues, depending on the ambient temperature of the tank room. Sudbury can get quite hot, IIRC, and if the room it's in gets hot, you'll certainly need to do something. A chiller is a good option.
I (hopefully) will be adding a chiller next year. It will be a 1/4hp for a 155g tank with 75g sump.

zulu_principle
09-09-2003, 03:38 AM
I run them both in my prop facility and on my home tank.

System Ex.

400 Gallons
4 x 400 MH
8 x 110 watt VHO
2 x 250 MH

Water is 12 inches deep.

1/3 HP UMI with a dual controller (cooling on, heat will never come on)

Its not on with the entire light cycle, but near the middle and then on and off for the balance of the cycle.

Not sure what the market is like there, but Ebay always has various ones and you could save yourself a few bills.

Wendell

kari
09-09-2003, 04:29 AM
1. main tank = 4.5'L x 3'W x 2'T
2. 2x250w MH, 160w NO flour.
3. 1/4hp Pacific Coast - Dual controller
4. in-line type

The tank is located in the basement with an open top. Water temp remains stable but the room sure warms up by evening due to the chiller. Maybe I can heat my house with the chiller in the winter :idea: :confused:

Kari

Canadian Man
09-09-2003, 04:34 AM
Well my new tank room after the light's (1300watts of metal halide) being on for a few hours, is about 15 degrees warmer than the rest of the basement. I don't need a chiller as long as I have a fan blowing on the sump and the exhaust fan with a humidistat set to come on at about 45% humidity. When it comes on it sucks the cold air from the rest of the basement into the room. The fan blowing on the sump is on for about 1 hour before and after the halides are on.

Of course I don't live in BC and having the tank in the basement helps alot.

AJ_77
09-09-2003, 04:48 AM
...and having the tank in the basement helps alot.
:idea:

Canadian Man
09-09-2003, 04:49 AM
...and having the tank in the basement helps alot.
:idea: :BIG:

robbyville
09-10-2003, 12:50 AM
Hi Andy,

That is a lot of light, but at the same time I think that much of it would depend on how much water you are running through the system and what other forms of cooling you have.

I originally had my fans set up so that one blew in and one out, temp was a real problem (700 watts on a 4ft 60 gal, hood enclosed except for the back, no under stand sump, it's built into the tank). I changed the fans so that both blew cool air in and now my tank remains stable at 78 with no air conditioning, etc.

Good luck,

Rob