PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Pharmaceuticals

randy123
11-29-2009, 12:57 PM
I suspect that my API tests have been lying to me. Has anyone else heard that this brand might be a problem? Any suggestions for alternatives?

bvlester
11-29-2009, 04:25 PM
I have not had a problem I thought it was but did tests on my kids tank and it was correct. I have used other test kits this was a few years ago though I do perfer API as the test intergers are closer together some of the others which makes to easer to make a read as to what the true reading is. Once your tank has settled down it whould read 0 or neer 0 for the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all the time and if you only add 1 fish at a time you should not have large spikes in ammoinia, nitrite and nitrate. Their marine test kit I have not use I am going to be buying the CA test kit today, i'll let you know what I think about it.

Bill

randy123
11-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Sounds good. I bought the nutrafin tests, and they do read a little different from API. (this one is 0 for ammonia, while my API perpetually read .05) I always left the bottles in the cabinet uncovered, so maybe the light affected them?

bvlester
11-30-2009, 07:21 PM
I don't think the bottles not being in a dark area will affect them as the bottles are make of a white plastic and are not clear. API probably recognizes that in an aquarium you will always read a bit of ammonia so their first reading is .05 if it is lighter than that you are within tolerance. It is kind of hooky this way but sensible and to try and mass produce a test kit that will be extremely accurate at a lower level my not be too feasible. I have used other test kits before and they all have there own issues. The one I like from years ago were the marine master test kits, the integers were close together and hard to distinguish apart some time but it was accurate.