PDA

View Full Version : Convict Tang

JDigital
11-29-2009, 03:37 AM
Just seeing if any members have kept one.. Input on how it did in your tank? etc.

Thanks

naesco
11-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Just seeing if any members have kept one.. Input on how it did in your tank? etc.

Thanks

I had one. It was not aggressive but lively. They come from Hawaii so there are no cyanide issues. Good luck with it.

JDigital
11-30-2009, 08:01 PM
I had one. It was not aggressive but lively. They come from Hawaii so there are no cyanide issues. Good luck with it.

Good to know about non-cyanide caught. Thanks

Anyone else with some insight/experience?

The Grizz
11-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Anyone .... anyone I would like to here this to as I would like to get one maybe.

saltcreep
11-30-2009, 08:30 PM
They come from Hawaii so there are no cyanide issues.

Hawaiian convicts will be larger (+5") due to size restrictions on collection. This larger size will also result in a higher cost, but yes you will have a healthier fish.

Most you will find are from the Philippines or Indonesia.

Chaloupa
11-30-2009, 08:35 PM
I have one that I acquired as a very small fish. He's done very well, isn't aggressive, however he does reside with a Achillies Tang, Chevron and a Yellow Hybrid Tang...so he doesn't get the chance to be the bully! But I quite like it, it's always picking about, and is very social...and it doesn't seem to swim the length of the tank as often as the others....seems to pick around more so.

Haloreef
11-30-2009, 10:09 PM
I have tried two, fat when I bought them, but never did eat and slowly starved. The only Tang i have had no luck with. I for one will not try another.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Ps. I love that Tang for some reason.
Good luck.

JDigital
11-30-2009, 10:32 PM
I have one that I acquired as a very small fish. He's done very well, isn't aggressive, however he does reside with a Achillies Tang, Chevron and a Yellow Hybrid Tang...so he doesn't get the chance to be the bully! But I quite like it, it's always picking about, and is very social...and it doesn't seem to swim the length of the tank as often as the others....seems to pick around more so.

Thanks Sarah, that's the type of reply I was waiting on... Do you know if yours was a Hawaiian or other? His only other tang mate would be a powder brown.

Haloreef, sorry to hear about your bad luck. These guys are pretty awesome. I would love to have a school of them but that tank is ALONG ways away.. haha

seanoman
11-30-2009, 11:35 PM
I currently have one and have had it for probably 6 months. Great little tang. I got it when it was quite small about 2" and over the six months he maybe has grown an inch at most. He is quite fat but his overall size hasn't changed much. I also have it in a tank with an Achilles and a Dussimieri Tang and they don't have any issues together.