PDA

View Full Version : New tank info

Seth72
11-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Hello.....i am just starting up in this hobby and was looking at buying this tank tommorow,
http://www.aquagiant.com/product_info.php/cPath/31_45_153/products_id/185

IS this an ok tank....someone said the holes are cut wrong,someone else said that it is acrylic,,,but thay are glass which is what i want,Anyways any comments to keep me from making a mistake would be great thanks.

Mr.nintendo
11-29-2009, 02:40 AM
That site/ info seems pretty shifty... Crashed coral for sale?

dsaundry
11-29-2009, 02:44 AM
It is a very nice tank, perhaps a tad high on price but oh well, The considerations you must make when you buy a tank are these. What are you going to keep in it? Trigger fish can tear up an acrylic tank, what are you going to grow in it, lighting will be very important too. Are you going to use a sump and/or a refugium? You can spend a lot of money on a tank and leave the other considerations short. I am only saying, do your homework on the entire package. :biggrin:

Seth72
11-29-2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks guys......they seem to sell alot of them they are opening another store...i guess i was just hoping to run into someone who had bought one.
It seemed kinda cheap to me thats why i asked....was at big als last weekend and they were very exspensive.:neutral:

noirsphynx
11-29-2009, 02:55 AM
Be wary, I've heard negatives about their tanks, glass cracking, bottoms popping out. I'd find out what their warranty is like. Another store, really? They had 2 and closed one down over a year ago.

Seth72
11-29-2009, 03:02 AM
Be wary, I've heard negatives about their tanks, glass cracking, bottoms popping out. I'd find out what their warranty is like. Another store, really? They had 2 and closed one down over a year ago.

lol......the warranty is the least of my worries....if i came home to the bottom busted out,and 120 gallons of water on my floor I would be looking for alot more than a new tank,maybe a new house.

mark
11-29-2009, 03:06 AM
I've seen them and they look okay though personally didn't like the curved corners. Friend picked up a chipped 180g (for apaludarium) same style and it seems solid. Never confirmed but heard the plumbing isn't imperial so could be a problem if changing things up later.

If cost is a big factor, look around here on Canreef lots a deals on used equipment. Also on Kijiji, a bit back and there was a 250 (http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-250-gal-Complete-Aquarium-Setup-W0QQAdIdZ170576896) and 280g (http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-280-gal-Aquarium-Setup-W0QQAdIdZ170577288) FS if you where thinking bigger.

noirsphynx
11-29-2009, 03:07 AM
lol......the warranty is the least of my worries....if i came home to the bottom busted out,and 120 gallons of water on my floor I would be looking for alot more than a new tank,maybe a new house.

:p SO TRUE! I almost bought one of the corner units about 2 years ago but after hearing the rumours of them busting and cracking easily I went else where. They are nice tanks though.

Seth72
11-29-2009, 03:20 AM
I have one other question...then i will not bug anyone anymore.Sounds like a simple question,but i cant find an awnser online.

After the live rock has cured and the tank has cycled,how much of a smell can i expect in my home....will i be coming home to moisture on the windows kind of thing.

The main inhabitant of my tank is going to be an eel,so i will have to have the top covered.:question:

noirsphynx
11-29-2009, 04:14 AM
I have one other question...then i will not bug anyone anymore.Sounds like a simple question,but i cant find an awnser online.

After the live rock has cured and the tank has cycled,how much of a smell can i expect in my home....will i be coming home to moisture on the windows kind of thing.

The main inhabitant of my tank is going to be an eel,so i will have to have the top covered.:question:

There shouldn't be any smell. There will most likely be some moisture but with a cover I would think it would help. Moisture is a bit of a problem in my small home in the winter but I keep my exhaust going 24/7 to combat it.

bvlester
11-29-2009, 04:20 AM
Hi,
Once the cycle and curing of the rock is done you don't have much of a smell. My kids smell the salt water smell, once in a while but normally no smell at all. If you are using a very good skimmer don't open the lid till you are in the washroom with the fan on it is really smelly. I am telling you my girls the first couple of times had to ask who had a dump in the washroom and didn't turn on the fan. Funny thing the fan was on, I had opened the lid on the skimmer cup before I got to the washroom. Larger tanks seem to take less maintenance than smaller tanks. With a lid on the tank you will have substantially less evaporation and that means allot less humidity in the house. I have made a 2/3 acrylic lid for my tank and have noticed that I have to top up way less. I still get allot of air flow over the water but the evaporating water settles on the acrylic top and condenses and then drips back in the tank.

By the way for those of you that has excess moisture in your house turn off the humidifier on your Furness this will help a bit I run my furness blower 24/7 and thank god we heat with wood as it draws the excess moisture out and dries the air.

Bill