PDA

View Full Version : poly tank idea

kuatto
09-09-2003, 02:10 AM
[/img]C:\My Documents\Polytak.bmp

was thinking about taking a large poly tank and putting a clear plexi window in the front,securing it with epoxy or silicone and bolts\washers every 3 inches.IF it all holds I'd build a wooden cabinet around the tank with 2x4 and oak plywood.I was told I couldn't seal the plexi to the poly tank,does anyone see a problem with this???
the tank would be roughly 6 x2.5 x 3

kuatto
09-09-2003, 02:13 AM
anyone know how to post an attatchment,dont think my diagram is showing

Quinn
09-09-2003, 02:15 AM
Sounds like quite a project. You obviously don't want to buy a tank? Might be easier.

You cannot link to images on your hard drive. You have to put them onto the web somewhere. Canreef now has a photo gallery, hit that puppy up (top right of the screen). Then put the tag at the start of the URL and at the end.

kuatto
09-09-2003, 02:23 AM
Hi Quinn
not that i dont want to buy a tank,just love to design and build my own.Plus was thinking the poly tank would be lighter to move when empty,plus i dont know of anyone else that has done one :biggrin:

Jim

UnderWorldAquatics
09-09-2003, 03:19 AM
They use them alot in the aquaculture industry. You cant usually use one of the cheap pre made poly tanks of varoius sizes because they are too thin walled. If you get a poly tank it has to be custom welded out of sheet poly with an acrylic panel inserted very securly. The pre made tanks bow like crazy! even the 1/2" wall tanks need an outside frame. Poly is great for big sumps where a little bowing isnt a problem. If you want to make your own larger tank out of something other than glass or all acrylic, learn how to work with fiberglass and insert a acrylic veiwing window.

kuatto
09-09-2003, 03:33 AM
The fiberglass idea was my second choice.would build a wood box using 2x4 as wall supports and framing,then lining inside with fiberglass and marine paint with the front being glass.