PDA

View Full Version : very sad about little Fury

dillia31
11-26-2009, 04:47 AM
I was sooooo happy that I got a little dwarf Lion fishy, :biggrin:
but sadly today wednesday I woke up to find him dead :( :( :( , everyone else swiming and doing thier fishy thing, three clown fishes, two small lye tail damsels,two little cleaner gobbies the other new fish that I got with him a Nudibranch my son call Spots is ok
I had my little lion fish for 5 days, when I got him, he wasnt swimming that much, and just settled at the bottom of the tank and barley moved and did not eat very much i thought that he was just getting use to the tank and tank mates, before we got the lion fish my 18yr old daughter used 1.50g of water for her 2.5 nano tank, her little baby clown fish is doing great that she has in it, with the water she used from my tanks.
all other fish in my tanks are doing good.
not sure what could have caused his death
the tank he came from had two lion fish in it
and the other lion fish is still alive
thanks
soooo sad :(

fishoholic
11-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Was he eating? Sometimes it is hard to get them to eat frozen food ie: mysis, krill, silversides etc.

danny zubot
11-26-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. I have a question for you though, and I mean no disrespect when I ask this, but; Why did you put a lion fish in a tank with so many small fish? Even a dwarf could/would make nice meals out of clowns, damsels and gobies. If your lion fish was still alive, and around for any length of time, it would have eventaully decimated your fish population.

naesco
11-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Sorry for your loss.
Also a nudibranch has a zero chance of living in your tank.
You also seem to be adding more than one fish at a time.
Unless you have a very large tank you are heading to problems.
My I suggest that you get some books like Robert Fenner's Conscientious Aquarist and read up at www.wetwebmedia.com
Also plan what you might be interested in and ask here for advice before you buy.

bvlester
11-27-2009, 03:09 AM
I had a lion fish 20 years ago I had to feed him live fish gold fish worked good he would not anything that was not alive. This is because they are wild cought fish it is hard to get them to change over they will literaly starve them selves to death before changing over to frozen food if they are the least bit unhappy where they are. I did get mine to eat some frozen but it took a long time and he still would not only eat frozen so i still had to give him some live fish to eat. I will not have a nouther one. They are a very nice fish and I do know a couple of people that have them and they are doing every well.
Bill

Ian
11-27-2009, 04:23 AM
Sorry about yours dwarf. I have had mine for about a year and a half now and he has been a model citizen(allthough I wish he would eat my yellow tail damsel at times). If you do try another I have found that mine is much maore active and aggresive feeder just aftewr the light shut down for the night. He also loves garlic. When he is not feeding he mostly finds a nice comfy place to hang out and watch life pass him by.
You may just have been unlucky and got one that would not feed. If you buy another ask to see it feed on frozen food before you get it. Your LFS should be happy to do this for you and if not find a new store to spend your money in.

The Grizz
11-27-2009, 04:57 AM
Sorry to hear about little fury, got mine when I bought my 1st 65 used. He was eating feeder goldfish which I was told was a big no no, starved him for 14 days and then started feeding him unthawed silverside's soaked in garlic. He now eat's almost every day about 1 1/2 piece. I think you got unlucky and got a dud. He even tryed to eat my 2 1/2" Fox Face the 2nd day it was in. he didn't suceed and now wil go no where near Foxie.

dillia31
11-27-2009, 07:28 AM
thank you every one for your replies, :) and your concern for the other fishy's:mrgreen:s i had my babies for a while now, clowns were going to get moved into the other tank ,the lye tail damsels,were going in a tank in my room, or getting rehomed,as they can be mean little buggers, and if the lion fish had eaten them, i might of felt a little bit guilty but not much :) sorry/ and one of the cleaner gobys, with the clown fish/ new to the nudibranch,(re -search and re-searched) who is still nudi-ing :) , these guys dont move much,
i just wanted my little lion to be settled into a well established tank , researching everything,
i always like different ideas, the internet is a wonderful hi-way of knowledge, i try never to buy on inpulse but to research, and always be sure you can house animals and if need be to upgrade to bigger homes or place them by them selfs
and for two newfishy's at once, the nubi was about three days , before the little lion
i dont like to house to many fish in a tank I know that salt water is not like fresh water,
love PetLand for when they brought in marine fish yrs ago , they dont have them now but thats what got me hooked on salt water
the lion fish would have been by himself as they get to be 7 inches
and will eat any thing that fits into thier mouths, I love these guys
thanks every one,
I love the honesty
I am so glad that I was told about this group hope to meet some friends
Proud owner of a mini ZOO
two pixie frogs (kermy mine, Gluton 17 yr olds)
skink(17yr olds)
tomato frog (17 yr olds)
gerbil(sons)
two lepard gecko's(sons)
one cat(17 yr olds)
two dogs mine and 17 yr olds
and my beautiful fishys
fresh water and salt
Two wonderful kids
and hubby
ok sorry for rambling, i can talk about pets all day long
I love fishy's and started with betta's and gold fish at 12yrs old