PDA

View Full Version : Need to move corals to temp tank!! ADVICE / TIPS / TRICKS

The Grizz
11-25-2009, 07:26 PM
I need to move all my coral to a temp tank before they go into my 155 BF. what is the best way to do so? Do i start with all fresh saltwater or move water out of my 2 other tanks and only added maybe 10% new. I know I will need a heater for obvious reasons, a little flow & light but do i need a filter as well.

The Grizz
11-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Come on there has got to be someone who has had to do this before.Anyone!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-25-2009, 11:18 PM
How long will they be in the temporary tank? If its only a day or two, you don't need to do anything special (no filtration or skimming for instance). If its going to be a week or several weeks, then you'll need to set it up to help maintain high water quality.

Min.: bare tank, fill half with old tank water, half with new sw mixed to same specific gravity & pH at least.
heater
powerheads
lighting (if only for a short while, any lighting should do, unless you're rehousing sps).

Once the temp tank is setup, just transfer some LR over, place corals in their best spots (sps high, lps med. softies low)

Make sure of powerhead placement so flow is not directly on the corals

If tank temps are comparable, then no acclimating is necessary since its like doing a big water change (at home, I transfer corals between tanks all the time)

Really, you should add more details if you want better answers or more responses since its very open ended at this point.

Tank sizes?
Coral sizes & types?
Duration of move?
What equipment you already have to reduce costs?

Anthony

The Grizz
11-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks Anthony for reply. It is only going to be a couple days. Trying to save as much water as I can and build up fresh mix in with existing tank water as I am moving all my coral and community tank into a 155 from a 65 hex and reg. 65 (where most coral is). Keeping the fish in the reg 65 but need to move out coral, all live rock and sand. Moving every thing out of 65 hex, want to start 155 with good bacteria base.

Greg

I have 2 empty 33gal & stands, a couple heaters and a filter with built in skimmer.

The Grizz
11-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Have a bit of every thing zoe's, softies, LPS, SPS, sponges, shrooms, xenia and gorgs. Mostly small piece's but a couple good size one's.