PDA

View Full Version : Market Research: Buying local vs. online. Please help!

Richer
11-25-2009, 04:26 AM
I'm just finishing up a project worth 65% of my grade for one of my business courses, but I need some help! Please feel free to contribute if you can, any comments would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that my research relates to buying aquarium products/livestock online vs. in local stores. I've gotten responses from fellow students, and some outsiders, but I obviously need the opinion of people who matter the most... the hobbyist!

When purchasing aquarium equipment and livestock, it is believed that a potential customer makes his/her decision based on five categories:

- fragility (how easily something is broken during shipment, regardless of whether or not the vendor replaces the item)
- how perishable the item is (fish/coral/frozen food)
- ease of shipment (the higher the weight/size of the item, the more it'll cost to ship, ie. salt)
- technical aspect of the item (how beneficial would it be to buy local so that you can get some local technical help, the Neptune controller comes to mind)
- availability (obviously, if the product is only available at a local shop, or only online, you'd only buy from there)

I believe these categories apply to most people who debate between buying local and online... except maybe perishability. Please rank which one of these is most important, with the most important at the top and the least important at the bottom and post any comment that you may have. Anyone who responds will be entered in for a draw for $20 at a yet to be determined shop (yes, its only 20 bucks, I can't afford more, I'm a student :P ).

Thanks for your participation!

BlueAbyss
11-25-2009, 04:38 AM
1. Perishibility (will it be alive when it gets here?)
2. Fragility (will my Solana be broken by the time it gets here?)
3. Shipment (will my Solana cost me my left kidney to ship to a remote area?)
4. Availability (where can I get cool expensive stuff to put in my new $1K Solana?)
5. Technical (who can tell me how to add a sump to my Solana?)

:wink:

lastlight
11-25-2009, 04:39 AM
- fragility (how easily something is broken during shipment, regardless of whether or not the vendor replaces the item)
- ease of shipment (the higher the weight/size of the item, the more it'll cost to ship, ie. salt)
- technical aspect of the item (how beneficial would it be to buy local so that you can get some local technical help, the Neptune controller comes to mind)
- availability (obviously, if the product is only available at a local shop, or only online, you'd only buy from there)

- technical aspect of the item. My BubbleKing SM250. Bought in Calgary rather than J&L because I want support if something breaks.
- availability. My light had to be purchase from a vendor outside my city. It's sold my no-one else. My 60" bulbs. Regardless of how much you beg they just aren't stocked anywhere. Ordered from US vendor knowing they are very fragile. Had no choice. BRS for sch 80 fittings since it wasn't easy to get local. To be fair I never looked very long as I'm impatient.

The other 3 haven't mattered to me yet. I've paid huge shipping bills, shipped fragile items in the case of my bulbs to get exactly the ones I wanted. Livestock I have only bought local but I plan to buy a few fish that may be ahrder to find. I will purchase online if need be. So really the two I've mentioned are the only ones mattering to me. I'm particular about what I want and only those 2 have influenced me in getting just what I've planned on getting.

I think I'm rambling. May or may not help you!

Mrfish55
11-25-2009, 04:51 AM

I try and buy as much as I can locally so I get the help I need when problems arise, I like to deal face to face especially when spending lots of $$ and I really do not like to buy livestock without seeing first hand the size and condition.

lastlight
11-25-2009, 04:53 AM
2. Fragility (will my Solana be broken by the time it gets here?)
3. Shipment (will my Solana cost me my left kidney to ship to a remote area?)
4. Availability (where can I get cool expensive stuff to put in my new $1K Solana?)
5. Technical (who can tell me how to add a sump to my Solana?)

:wink:

What type of tank are you running btw?

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-25-2009, 04:57 AM

Clearly a BioCube 29. You really should read his post again, it's quite obvious.

shrimpchips
11-25-2009, 04:58 AM
For me, it's availability - I've bought frags from guys out West simply because I can't find some of those species/varieties in Ontario.

With regards to everything else, I can find most things locally, but I still deal with out of town suppliers/online shops. Why? Because the places that stock the things I want and have the expertise locally are also associated with bad business practices, poor customer service and generally cost more.

For me, items 1, 2 and 3 all go hand in hand.

shrimpchips
11-25-2009, 05:00 AM
Clearly a BioCube 29. You really should read his post again, it's quite obvious.

I think you both clearly missed it. Livestock need not apply: the tank itself is alive.

tlo
11-25-2009, 05:09 AM
1.availability - I try to support local stores and only order online when it cannot be ordered locally- although - sometimes online prices for dry goods cant be beat:redface:
2. how perishable the item is (no point in ordering livestock if the shipping will kill it)
3.ease of shipment (the higher the weight/size of the item, the more it'll cost to ship, ie. salt)
4. technical aspect of the item - i really do need help with this stuff!
5. fragility -not too worried about this one, as most vendors will package products accordingly

The Grizz
11-25-2009, 05:10 AM
1.Perishable would be my #1, ordering out of province fish or coral is hard for me to do. Like to see what I am paying for first in person (unless to awesome of deal,lol)
2.Fragility is very close 2nd. Hate it when you pay for something and it come's in piece's.
3.Availability is middle of the pack for obvious reason's
4.Tech support is good to but you can usualy find someone somewhere with the info you need.
5. Shipping the least of my worries there are many way's to decrease shipping cost's.

And that for what it's worth is my 2 cent's.

bvlester
11-25-2009, 06:38 AM
1.Perishable would be my #1, I only buy local that is if I can make it a day trip I will buy
2.Fragility is very close 2nd. Always get insurance for the replacement of broken items. Large transport companies always have insurance for items they are shipping. I have shipped item from over seas, US and within Canada. I have not had much trouble.
3.Availability If I can't fine it local or semi local I shop world wide to get the best buy.
4.Tech support is good, but the best tech support comes from the manufacturer more produces are putting in print that you should contact them and not the company you bought the product from.
5. Shipping is not a worry as I get insurance on almost everything I get shipped If it arrives broken then the insurance kicks in and it is cheep to get.

I have run small business before and worked in large shipping companies also and insurance is just a cost of doing business. whether it a small company or a personal perches get insurance, the first time you need it you will be glad.

edit: I forgot to say economics keeps the world economy going around and helps keep people employed.
There you go.

Bill

Funky_Fish14
11-25-2009, 07:02 AM
For Livestock:
-Availability (Because I only buy specific specimens, that are exactly what i want)
-Fragility
-Perishability
-Ease of Shipment
-Technical Aspects

I list it this way because if I want a specific animal/livestock, it is unique. All animals, corals, etc... are unique, no two are alike. If I want an animal, I will pay whatever for it, from wherever. Desire for a specific, exact product outweighs all technical aspects/problems associated with it's purchase.

For anything else(dry goods, food, etc..):
-Technical Aspect
-Availability
-Ease of shipment
-Fragility
-Perishability

The reason for this order, is due to the fact that if something is very complex or detailed, I'd prefer to get a chance to view/understand it in person if I can... following is availability (which is also linked to price, I wouldnt consider the item 'available' locally if it is twice the online price, per se)... Whether shipment will take forever or not is basically the following reason, then fragility/parishability, I dont really care. Most retailers will typically replace stuff I didnt break myself.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Chris

(If you draw me, keep the $20 dollars as a 'refund' from another 'poor' student, haha)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-25-2009, 07:31 AM
1) Perishability (I don't like shipping livestock in winter for instance)
2) Price - Cost/benefit analysis (how much am I really going to save online vs LFS)
3) Availability (with J&L, OA, & other lg. sw retailers here, can't one of them bring it in?)
4) Shipping (again cost/benefit analysis - will shipping costs negate any savings?)
5) Technical support

I don't often resort to ordering stuff shipped in just because of the added cost & risks involved, especially with so many sw retailers in the area.

Mr.nintendo
11-25-2009, 07:48 AM

Perishability is number one for sure, I would never spend a crapload of money for something from an online vendor if it's arrival is questionable.

sphelps
11-25-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm adding a couple more since the key point for me weren't provided.

Perishable (first thing for me, I don't generally order live goods or perishable items online)
Urgency & Availability (second thing is how bad do I need the item and how long can I wait)
Price Difference (This should be near the top on everybody's list, it's always about the money)
Relationship (the better the relationship with a LFS the more likely you will buy from them even if price is higher and/or delivery is longer)
Fragility
Technical

StirCrazy
11-25-2009, 02:27 PM
#1 Potential savings (didn't have this one but I feel it is the most important for online as if there was no cost savings why get it online?

#2 availability

#3 ease of shipment

#4 Fragility

#5 Perishable (but this also depends on the location od the online vendor. for instance I would have no problem getting stuff from J&L but some one in the states would be out.

#6 technical aspect of the item

Steve

lastlight
11-25-2009, 02:29 PM
I ranked technical highly. But really I'm a technical guy and it would be more realistic to have one like "customer service, timely support" or something like that.

If it breaks I want local attention.

Richer
11-25-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I assume buying online will save you money. What I'm looking for is what makes you determine whether the price difference is worth buying online.

Thanks for all of the responses, please keep them coming!

lastlight
11-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Intensely involved Flash banners. You know the sort where you gotta click like a madman to get the dude to do pull-ups or throw punches. SOLD!

muck
11-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Hi Rich... Nice to see you around again.
Good luck with your project. Its too bad i couldn't make dinner the other night.

1. technical - If this includes superb customer service and after purchase support its a big plus for me. Now saying that it could be local support or not that would be more desirable to me. Would depend on the vendor.

2. availability - I'll include quality and reputation in this as well. If I can get superior quality from a vendor that has a good standing in the industry I'm all for it.

3. perishable - If the goods i want have a high rate of not making it to me I might hesitate to order, but if the cost savings are significant I might take a gamble on it.

4. ease of shipment (the higher the weight/size of the item, the more it'll cost to ship, ie. salt) If the cost savings are still there as assumed, its really not an issue.

5. fragility - Most cases its not an issue if you buy from a reputable source that knows how to package goods for shipment. Key is to do your homework.

christyf5
11-25-2009, 03:54 PM
1. availability (obviously, if the product is only available at a local shop, or only online, you'd only buy from there)

2. ease of shipment (the higher the weight/size of the item, the more it'll cost to ship, ie. salt)

3. how perishable the item is (fish/coral/frozen food)

4.fragility (how easily something is broken during shipment, regardless of whether or not the vendor replaces the item)

5.technical aspect of the item (how beneficial would it be to buy local so that you can get some local technical help, the Neptune controller comes to mind)

BlueAbyss
11-25-2009, 04:38 PM

Right now, a 10 gallon with 5 gallon sump. I used the Solana as an example, since I've found some but I really don't want to have something that large (expensive, heavy, fragile!) shipped to me. So I'm stuck with the tanks Wally world sells. When I put perishability first, I was thinking of livestock rather than dry goods (lots of dry goods aren't overly fragile, but livestock has about 48 hours or so to get to you before it's done).

As far as the difference between buying local and buying online, since I live a looooong ways from the closest LFS, personally there's no contest. I either have to go to the city and buy stuff (which limits me to what is in stock at the time... often, not much :lol: ) or order online. Specially livestock, unless I just want a Nemo and some xenia (pretty much all they had in the last store I was in).

soapy
11-25-2009, 05:08 PM
I am with Stircrazy, price is a huge consideration. If I can get something way cheaper online then I am there. I always weigh it against the other considerations but cost is king.

globaldesigns
11-25-2009, 05:18 PM
1. Availability (I don't want to wait too long for it)
2. Perishibility
3. Fragility
4. Shipment
5. Technical

Overall I can tell you this:

1.) All livestock does come usually from one place in Calgary. I don't buy livestock online as I do wish to see it first, watch it eat and know where it is coming from. With the LFS I use, I know their acclimation process, quarantine procedures and so on, so I know I am going to get a fish that is healthy once it is given to me.

2.) Corals are like point #1, I deal with LFS and fellow reefers, for the same points above.

3.) Suppliments and Dosing Stuff I get online from JL Aquatics, as they are the cheapest overall, with free shipping over $100 and I have it in Calgary within 2 business days. I ordered 2 seperat orders last week and I already received both. For salt because of weight and extra shipping costs on this item, I do buy from the LFS.

All I can say is do your research on your LFS and what you buy. Don't assume you are just getting the best or best deal. I did, and got taken many times from one LFS, I can say I don't step foot in there anymore.

It's a fun hobby, take your time and you will enjoy it! YOU MAY BE BROKE, but you will enjoy it.