PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday Sales

Myka
11-25-2009, 01:49 AM
Anyone know of any fishy places that are having a Black Friday sale? I need a few things, and can't resist a good sale! ;)

Delphinus
11-25-2009, 01:58 AM
I seem to recall Marine Depot sending out an email. I imagine most of the US vendors will be doing *some*thing...

banditpowdercoat
11-25-2009, 02:00 AM
Got an email that Custom aquatics was having one.

http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/control/main

but they US :(

fragNplug
11-25-2009, 02:02 AM
Do not quote me on this, but im pretty certain kevin may have a sale at redcoral for black friday.
I will ask him to respond to this thread either way.

lastlight
11-25-2009, 02:26 AM
Brings back memories of last year's black friday. Purchased my lights. Now Aquarium Obsessed is dead in the water. Lot happens in one year.

Myka
11-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys!

Brett, maybe it is bad luck buying on Black Friday! :eek:

globaldesigns
11-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Black Friday is an American thing... You folks are saying that Canadian LFS are jumping on the band wagon.

I wanna test you all, Why is it called "Black Friday"?

No Googling now, if you don't know then give your best or silliest answer

Delphinus
11-25-2009, 05:12 PM
I know why... but I aint gonna spoil the fun.

soapy
11-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Yeah Black Friday, that is the day that blimp flew over the football stadium and that guy with the rifle shot all those people. Later on they made a kick ass true story movie with Robert Shaw.

Ross
11-25-2009, 05:44 PM
:popcorn:

Veng68
11-25-2009, 05:58 PM
black friday is called that because that is when the stores get into the black :)

Cheers,
Vic

lastlight
11-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Not sure about this year. But yeah it has something to do with that!

Oscar
11-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Anyone know of any fishy places that are having a Black Friday sale? I need a few things, and can't resist a good sale! ;)

try Bulk Reef

globaldesigns
11-25-2009, 08:02 PM
K, Black Friday refers to the first day that American businesses tend to go from the red to the black (for those not knowing what this means, it means they start making a profit). Thanks Giving is the biggest holiday time in the U.S, YES, bigger than even christmas... U.S. shoppers line up for hours/days for the deals we do the same thing for in Canada for Boxing Day.

I don't know why Canadian retailers would have sales as this doesn't pertain to Canada. I use to run some large retail stores and must say I never had a Black Friday sale. But oh well, if anyone knows of any LFS online or local stores doing this let us know... I am always for a good deal.

Buzz
11-25-2009, 09:50 PM
K, Black Friday refers to the first day that American businesses tend to go from the red to the black (for those not knowing what this means, it means they start making a profit). Thanks Giving is the biggest holiday time in the U.S, YES, bigger than even christmas... U.S. shoppers line up for hours/days for the deals we do the same thing for in Canada for Boxing Day.

I don't know why Canadian retailers would have sales as this doesn't pertain to Canada. I use to run some large retail stores and must say I never had a Black Friday sale. But oh well, if anyone knows of any LFS online or local stores doing this let us know... I am always for a good deal.

I did a search on the internet and this is what I got.

Black Friday

Sept. 24, 1869, in U.S. history, day of financial panic. In 1869 a small group of American financial speculators, including Jay Gould and James Fisk, sought the support of federal officials of the Grant administration in a drive to corner the gold market. The attempt failed when government gold was released for sale. The drive culminated on a Friday, when thousands were ruined–the day is popularly called Black Friday. There was great indignation against the perpetrators. Several other days of financial panic have also been occasionally referred to as Black Friday

globaldesigns
11-25-2009, 10:26 PM
I did a search on the internet and this is what I got.

Black Friday

Sept. 24, 1869, in U.S. history, day of financial panic. In 1869 a small group of American financial speculators, including Jay Gould and James Fisk, sought the support of federal officials of the Grant administration in a drive to corner the gold market. The attempt failed when government gold was released for sale. The drive culminated on a Friday, when thousands were ruined–the day is popularly called Black Friday. There was great indignation against the perpetrators. Several other days of financial panic have also been occasionally referred to as Black Friday

this is a different Black Friday... Every year at american thanksgiving, they have what they call Black Friday...

I even double checked with a family member who lives in the U.S. this is what they refer to it as.

I guess there could be many things referenced as black friday throughout history though, so you probably are not wrong.

Myka
11-26-2009, 02:28 AM
I was supposed to go on a shopping trip to the US for three days during Black Friday, but I canceled. Supposed to be some good deals for Christmas shoppers. =]

I have a few equipment purchases I need to make, and I like to make equipment purchases second hand, but good deals are good deals. :D