PDA

View Full Version : Need some clairification????

The Grizz
11-24-2009, 05:09 AM
Ok here's the deal. I have been browsing several of the pic's of fellow Can Reefers and have one question that needs an answer. How do you guys/gals do it? And by do it I mean mix what is listed as community fish in with aggressive breeds of fish.

I will explain a little more:

Perc / False Clowns in with what I think was a Porcupine puffer, powder brown tang & a damsel.

Clowns , damsel's, fox face & picasso triggers. And so on.

What I am really saying IS, I have False Perc's, male Fire Clowns, a few Damsels, Blue Green Cromis(2), Spoted hawk, Regal Tang, 6 line Wrassel in one tank (65gal). A yellow Tang, Fox face, Female Fire clown(male's mate), picasso trigger, vallentini Puffer, snowflake eel, green sea serpent star and my prize loin fish (65 gal)

I know I can't put the lion fish in with the first group of fish, he would eat most of them & same with the eel I think but what about the rest all in a 155 gal. I would like to add another tang or 2, couple angel's, maybe a butterfly, scribbled rabbit, pijama Card.

What is possible, what is a no go.

HELP BEFORE MY WIFE HAS ME DIVIDE MY 155!!!!!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-24-2009, 06:01 AM
My wife's Porc puffer grew up with a purple tang, powder brown tang & regal tang. He doesn't see other fish as food but eats freeze dried pink prawn, scallops & other goodies.

A lionfish, unfortunately, is much more likely to eat any fish that will fit or almost fit into its mouth.

bvlester
11-24-2009, 06:46 AM
Fish are like any other animal they have their own personalities, you can get two fish out of the same tank in the LFS and get them home and you find out they don't like each other any more. You can also get two fish that are the same breed to find out one is goo with some fish and the other one is not. You can also have some fish and when juvinile they are fine but when they become adults they change and show their real colors litraly. Alot of eels that are labled not reef fendly sre quite compatible just when they get older they get large and start knocking corals over and stuff once a coral is turned over they trigers and tangs and some angles think it feeding time. So unless you get all fish that you are going to keep in the tank as juviniles or buy fish of euile size as to what you already have, it becomes trial and ERROR.

Bill

Snappy
11-24-2009, 02:26 PM
I have heard of several occasions where a snowflake moray has killed and eaten a large lion fish. They attack the underbelly where there is no protection. In my opinion in order for you to keep all those types of live stock together that you are wanting you will need a much bigger tank.

The Grizz
11-24-2009, 02:27 PM
All my fish are fairly small, all less then 2 " in body length. There is no way I would put my huge lion fish with the little dudes. I guess I could attemp a meeting of the 2 tanks and so what happens.

The Grizz
11-24-2009, 02:29 PM
I have heard of several occasions where a snowflake moray has killed and eaten a large lion fish. They attack the underbelly where there is no protection. In my opinion in order for you to keep all those types of live stock together that you are wanting you will need a much bigger tank.
My eel and lion fish are getting alone fine but I don't think I would put the eel in the 155 with every one else either.

Myka
11-25-2009, 01:46 AM
Grizz, your tanks are horribly overstocked. I am happy to hear you have a bigger tank planned for them. You may have to re-home a couple fish, but you should be able to put most of them happily into the bigger tank.

The Grizz
11-25-2009, 02:35 AM
Have no problem's with them now. Just tested water qual. in both 65 gal. : Ph. 7.6, Nitrate 0, Calcium 400-420, Kh 160 & temp 78-82. Only running a Rena XP2 and a Seaclone 100. The new tank will be a 155 BF with double overflows to a 30 gal sump with a Tunze 9010 and possibley a Aqua Medic T1000, a little giant return (1100 gph) to 4 - 22" vertical sprayer bars, 2 - 9w Turbo Twist UV's. Lighting is 3 - 250w MH mogal bases/icecap ballast & 6-8 36" 54w T5's, 1 - 96w PC. So it should be a sweet set-up when all done.

bvlester
11-25-2009, 03:34 AM
If you are going to go with an Aqua medic I would go with a T5000 shorty there was one for sale on here not long ago. Check out a couple of other forums you will find one even ebay though you have to ask if they will ship to Canada. I have not had any troubles getting stuff shipped up here yet. Aqua Medic is makeing a couple new models 1000 blue and 3000 blue both seem to have had inprovments in design.

Bill

naesco
11-25-2009, 03:39 AM
I think you will be fine as long as you get rid of the picasso trigger, vallentini Puffer, snowflake eel, green sea serpent star, lion fish and hawkfish.

Replace them with the tangs but do not get any butterfly or angelfish as they will damage or kill your coral

You are grossly overstocked presently and as you are aware the tangs are not suitable for your present 65 gallon.
You will need to be patient and control your fish buying (I know it is tough). A wipe out in your new tank will be very costly.

Your new system is first class. Good Luck

The Grizz
11-25-2009, 04:08 AM
The Aqua medic is just temp as the Tunze 9010 is good for 265 gal I believe. Going to use the T1000 for the sump set-up I am planning for my 65 Hex. E-bay is one of my best friends & my wife's enemy. Have no trouble getting thing's shipped as I am a business & have a customs broker. Get stuff for Hong Kong as well.

globaldesigns
11-25-2009, 04:16 AM
Hey, How is the Tunze 9010 running for you. Haven't heard from you since you picked it up.

Hope it is doing a good job for you.

The Grizz
11-25-2009, 04:20 AM
I think you will be fine as long as you get rid of the picasso trigger, vallentini Puffer, snowflake eel, green sea serpent star, lion fish and hawkfish.

Replace them with the tangs but do not get any butterfly or angelfish as they will damage or kill your coral

You are grossly overstocked presently and as you are aware the tangs are not suitable for your present 65 gallon.
You will need to be patient and control your fish buying (I know it is tough). A wipe out in your new tank will be very costly.

Your new system is first class. Good Luck
Keeping these fish in a different tank other than the itty bitty spotted hawkfish as he's already in my community tank, he is a big (little) whussy. Going to get 1 maybe 2 different tang's but not for at least a couple of month's after tank is up. I have seen angel's & butterflies in reef tanks that have WAY MORE coral than I do & doing fine. They all say getting them small help's. SALTWATER = CRAPSHOOT. lol

The Grizz
11-25-2009, 04:23 AM
Hey, How is the Tunze 9010 running for you. Haven't heard from you since you picked it up.

Hope it is doing a good job for you.
Hey Rick, haven't got it going yet still working on getting every thing put together for the 155. Just about there, this weekend I HOPE. Check out the build thread see what I am up to.