PDA

View Full Version : Coral Safe or Not Coral Safe?

The Grizz
11-22-2009, 12:04 AM
How do I know if a fish is coral safe. I have see several fish that I would like to have such as angel's and butterflies. But when I look them up they say "Coral Safe - NO", and I have seen them in reef tanks. What's the deal.

I have LPS, SPS, Softies, Mushrooms, Xenia, Zoe's, Gorg's and a sponge that I will be dividing up between both side's of my 155.

Would also like to add other corals that I don't have like Ricordia and birds nest.

Snappy
11-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Different fish eat different corals so you need to plan accordingly.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Yup, its sometimes as confusing as the eating habits of individual fish or even which tank it is in. My friend Marie bought a Regal angel that was reef-safe in another friend's reef tank, but now is an LPS eater. I have an African Flameback dwarf angel that is supposed to be reef-safe, but has killed my clams & several LPS corals. Now it seems to be behaving itself.

My wife's porcupine puffer is NOT supposed to be reef-safe, yet it lives in a 120g with softies, LPS & anemones, no problem.

Anthony

The Grizz
11-22-2009, 12:23 AM
Different fish eat different corals so you need to plan accordingly.
Very new to SW so learning as I go. Can you tell me what corals Korean Angels & Coral Beauties might pick on or eat.

The Grizz
11-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Yup, its sometimes as confusing as the eating habits of individual fish or even which tank it is in. My friend Marie bought a Regal angel that was reef-safe in another friend's reef tank, but now is an LPS eater. I have an African Flameback dwarf angel that is supposed to be reef-safe, but has killed my clams & several LPS corals. Now it seems to be behaving itself.

My wife's porcupine puffer is NOT supposed to be reef-safe, yet it lives in a 120g with softies, LPS & anemones, no problem.

Anthony
Same as my Picasso Trigger and Valentini Puffer they don't bother anything, and my Regal Tang as well. Right now my Fire Clown (so I was told), which I think is actually a Cinnimon Clown is really enjoying my Duncans. Really need to get some Anemone and/or Torch corals for both set's of Clowns I have.

Snappy
11-22-2009, 03:30 AM
Very new to SW so learning as I go. Can you tell me what corals Korean Angels & Coral Beauties might pick on or eat.
I've had my coral beauty for 5 years and it's a model citizen but my majestic angel eats all zoos and frogspawn. It's really hit & miss, they can be reef safe for a long time and then all of a sudden change. I had a regal tang that was perfect for 3.5 years and one day it started eating green star polyps and killed seven of my clams. Putting any of the fish you mentioned into a reef tank is a crap shoot as to how they will behave and what they will or won't pick at. Good luck.

The Grizz
11-22-2009, 04:42 AM
I've had my coral beauty for 5 years and it's a model citizen but my majestic angel eats all zoos and frogspawn. It's really hit & miss, they can be reef safe for a long time and then all of a sudden change. I had a regal tang that was perfect for 3.5 years and one day it started eating green star polyps and killed seven of my clams. Putting any of the fish you mentioned into a reef tank is a crap shoot as to how they will behave and what they will or won't pick at. Good luck.
Thanks Greg for the advice it's alway's a crap shot from what I hear. When I get my 155 set-up I would like to come down to check out your stock. Do you just do coral or do you stock fish as well.

Snappy
11-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks Greg for the advice it's alway's a crap shot from what I hear. When I get my 155 set-up I would like to come down to check out your stock. Do you just do coral or do you stock fish as well.
Your welcome. I don't sell fish but I have a good selection of corals. I'll look forward to seeing you when you're ready. :biggrin: