PDA

View Full Version : For those of you using spaflex

christyf5
11-21-2009, 06:03 PM
What do you use for glue? Can you still use that PVC glue?

iansfishy
11-21-2009, 06:07 PM
yup, Use both the primer and the glue though. And use both on both pieces that you are glueing.

christyf5
11-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the quick response

Woo, I'm gonna get hiiiiigh :wink:

Borderjumper
11-21-2009, 06:10 PM

We used the black PVC cement and it worked fine. A tip with the spaflex, its not really too bendy. We found if you soak the pipe in the bathtub in HOT water it makes it much more flexable.

christyf5
11-21-2009, 06:12 PM
We used the black PVC cement and it worked fine. A tip with the spaflex, its not really too bendy. We found if you soak the pipe in the bathtub in HOT water it makes it much more flexable.

Oh good tip, yeh it really is a lot less bendy than I thought it would be. It doesn't have to go very far so that doesn't matter but it doesn't stay where I want it to without at least glueing one end of it down (or having two people wrangle it).

mr.wilson
11-21-2009, 06:18 PM
After the spaflex is in place you can use a heat gun to erase its "memory" to make it more pliable (less stiff). Use more primer and glue than you normally would use with rigid PVC as spaflex/tigerflex doesn't bond quite as well.

sparky
11-21-2009, 11:20 PM
you can buy spa flex glue that is pottable (ips weld on 725 wet r dry)is the product name

golf nut
11-22-2009, 12:54 AM
After the spaflex is in place you can use a heat gun to erase its "memory"

I tried that once on the wife... no success.

lastlight
11-22-2009, 01:55 AM
Haha! Why do you think I encourage mine to use her hair blow dryer daily?

Tom R
11-22-2009, 02:49 AM
Hi Christy

It sounds like you are having alot of fun. It is always exciting when comes to setting up a new tank.

For SpaFlex PVC I use Weld_On PVC 795 cement.
It is a clear cement made for gluing SpaFlex to SpaFlex or SpaFlex to rigid PVC. Always use primer first.

It is available at either Home Depot or Rona.

Tom R

PoonTang
11-22-2009, 03:29 AM
christy make sure you get all of your fittings etc at sherrit in town. they have the best prices by far.

christyf5
11-22-2009, 03:40 AM
I went to Corix in Duncan, they have all their stuff accessible on shelves so if I don't know what a certain part I need is called, I don't have to act it out and draw a picture of it. I can just grab it out of a box :razz:

PoonTang
11-22-2009, 03:44 AM
sherrit will let you do that too. they have stores in both Nanaimo and Duncan.

christyf5
11-22-2009, 03:47 AM
Oh I haven't been in there in awhile, the last time they made me feel like an idiot so I haven't been back.

lastlight
11-22-2009, 03:55 AM
Christy how can you be posting when you have unglued pvc? I'd be working the hacksaw into the early morning if I had the chance. I love plumbing!

christyf5
11-22-2009, 04:00 AM
LOL, its all ready to go. Two trips to the hardware store and guess what I forgot to buy :razz:

The gluing will commence tomorrow!

The tank does have about 2 inches of water in it if that counts for anything :razz:

Delphinus
11-22-2009, 04:05 AM
In a pinch you can use the purple primer/grey cement, but it's better if you use the clear primer and cement with spaflex. The clear has more elasticity which you want with the more elastic pipes. You can actually reef on a spaflex joint (that was done with the grey) hard enough and it will come apart. But the clear stuff is harder to find (usually from a spa pump store and not the usual HD/Rona/etc.)

lastlight
11-22-2009, 04:05 AM
Oh that's a bummer haha. Yeah my wife refuses to go to HD with me for plumbing parts anymore because I sit there dry-fitting for an hour and changing my mind.

And yeah 2" counts for a lot. You gotta be pretty dang pumped.

I love winter for one reason: this community goes NUTS with new tanks.

christyf5
11-22-2009, 04:13 AM
LOL, I spent about 20 mins at home hardware today trying to get from 1.5" slip to 1" threaded for a barb fitting. Man oh man, I love the challenge. I got it down to only 3 fittings!

Then of course I got home and changed my mind about how I wanted the plumbing so I had to go back for more PVC. Pain in the arse all those little 3" bits of PVC to join unions and valves to stuff, didn't account for that part.

I think I'll let the water run overnight. It will be like Christmas tomorrow morning! (unless of course the tank develops a leak which all our new ikea kitchen, piled in front of the tank, sucks up) :razz:

Lance
11-22-2009, 03:52 PM
I think I'll let the water run overnight. It will be like Christmas tomorrow morning! (unless of course the tank develops a leak which all our new ikea kitchen, piled in front of the tank, sucks up) :razz:

No no no. Don't think like that! There will be no leaks!

lastlight
11-22-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm still trying to once again get used to that sinking feeling as I walk down the stairs and hear water moving in my tank. Praying it's all moving on the INSIDE of it.

christyf5
11-22-2009, 04:25 PM
LOL, yeah I have a tuned ear for it now. Especially if one of the pumps sounds "off".

My "glass" is half full today! :mrgreen:

Tom R
11-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Just a hint.

When working on a plumbing project go to your local HD or Rona and pick up the fittings you have planned and at least 25% more than the plan. This will help to eliminate those extra trips in the middle of your project. HD and Rona allow you to return the unused items once the project is completed.

Tom R

Jason McK
11-22-2009, 04:52 PM
There is a Glue specific for Spa Flex. I believe the primer is the same. I did not use the regular PVC Glue so I'm not sure how well it works.

I also heated the oven to about 150F and would place the spa Flex in the oven to sofen it up.

J

christyf5
11-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Just a hint.

When working on a plumbing project go to your local HD or Rona and pick up the fittings you have planned and at least 25% more than the plan. This will help to eliminate those extra trips in the middle of your project. HD and Rona allow you to return the unused items once the project is completed.

Tom R

Actually sometimes I find the break required by the extra trips helps keep the frustration levels down :razz: Besides, I seem to lose the receipts about 30seconds after the cashier gives them to me so taking stuff back is a bit of a crap shoot.

lastlight
11-22-2009, 07:33 PM
I once returned 2 different fittings in the span of an hour and got it third try. The girl at the counter thought I was a dumbass I'm sure.

StirCrazy
11-23-2009, 02:35 AM

yes, amke sure you prime it and glue it good.

Steve

Aquatic Addictions
11-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi Christy

It sounds like you are having alot of fun. It is always exciting when comes to setting up a new tank.

For SpaFlex PVC I use Weld_On PVC 795 cement.
It is a clear cement made for gluing SpaFlex to SpaFlex or SpaFlex to rigid PVC. Always use primer first.

It is available at either Home Depot or Rona.

Tom R

This is what we used. Except we use the clear. At home depot and Rona they only have the grey. Southern Drip has the Clear in several different sizes.

Dan